Life of an Apple Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tinydragon123, Dec 28, 2008.

1. tinydragon123 macrumors member

Hello!

I am wondering how long do Apple Displays can last for?

I am thinking of buying a 20" Apple Display that is 4 Years old for the price of $270. However, I am concerned with the color fades or if the ACD might break within the next year.

Also, do YOU think Apple will update the Cinema displays at Macworld (and that I should wait) or even provide an adapter to work with old Macbook Pros and other Macs?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yea, for that amount I would just rather buy a brand new 24" samsung display.

4. gwihannom macrumors member

Whether it's an Apple or not, $270 for a 4 year old monitor is overpriced.

No one knows what they will update at Macworld, but considering LED Cinema Display is only in 24 inches and other two are in the previous version, an educated guess would be that they will upgrade the display line. No proof or anything, but it wouldn't really make sense for them not to.

If money is not the issue, wait for Macworld and purchase one of the new displays that gets revised.

If you are on budget, consider alternatives. For around $270, you can get a decent LCD monitor from Samsung or Dell. Maybe go even cheaper with Acer, Westinghouse and such if your uses don't require for color sensitive work and you just want an extended display.

As for the four year old Cinema Display, it's your call. They won't necessarily "DIE" or anything. It just becomes obsolete. I had a 15 inch Samsung monitor that's about eight years old which is now still working on my cousin's desk. I don't see any issues with it, but would I use it again? Not really. It's a bad analogy, I know, but Apple displays always were brighter and better designed.