Life on the Cloud

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wfoster, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

This is a random post, just something I thought I'd share and see if anyone else feels the same.

My whole world revolves around the cloud and I never thought I'd say it but it's perfect. Especially now with fast internet, great software and hardware.

• Spotify for all my music
    • Dropbox holds all my files and data, for 3 various machines
    • iCloud and Flickr hold all my photos and videos
    • Messaging and interactions with friends is through iMessage, Facebook and Twitter

My laptop is never slowed down by lots of music files, video files and various other data. All my files are everywhere along with my music and well, everything. Everything I need, at a quick glance, is on my iPhone.

Does anybody else do the same?

2. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Good luck. Don't come whining to me when one of the various systems you rely on, which are completely out of your hands, fails or glitches.

Tell me, what exactly are the pros of doing things the way you do? All I can see is one big fat con: NONE OF YOUR DATA IS IN YOUR HANDS.

Is "not having my computer bogged down by data" really a pro which outweighs the above?

If I ever tried anything like that, it would be in an experimental manner, where I'd say "oh check this out, they're actually kind of semi-successfully making this whole cloud nonsense work to a degree that the average consumer will actually think it's useable," and then I'd quickly return to a sane, secure, stable and safe system of computer and data usage and management.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I rely a lot on the cloud too, but always keep backups of everything.

I'm grandfather on unlimited data with ATT. If they didn't slow my data down after 5gb of usage, I would have no need to keep a ton of music on my SD card, as it's loaded onto Google Music.

Actually the Cloud can be more reliable. Once I've deleted all my contacts by mistake. Turns out Google has a time machine like option and you can go back and recover from certain dates. Got everything back in a heartbeat. Someone even made a thread recently about getting all their photos restored from Google.

Sure, your asking for it if you keep important docs in the cloud only. Which nobody basically does cause most of the cloud originates from your locally stored(PC or Device) stuff. But using the cloud for a default way to access things is making more sense than local storage nowadays. With Google, Dropbox, and etc, I have access to my stuff from anywhere in the world, any device or desktop.

I bet you rely on the cloud too, but you don't even know it. :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems like you fail to grasp how the cloud works and so instead of lambasting the OP why not see how useful it can be.

For instance, dropbox keeps data on your different machines synchronized. They're also encrypted on the server. The OP didn't state he's keeping his social security number, bank numbers and other sensitive data on the cloud either.

Spotify is not keeping any data, but listening to streaming music. iCloud like other services from google allow you to have your contacts emails and address book on different machines - again a mechanism to bring data to the devices.

OP as for me, I use
    • Dropbox,
    • Pandora (some iTiunes radio though its not as good as Pandora
    • iCloud
    • iMessage
    • OmniSync (a dropbox varient for syncing my Omnigraffle charts