Life proof, otterbox or griffin for 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Rtr, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Rtr macrumors newbie

Looking for a pretty durable case for my 4S.

Like the protection my defender has offered on my 3GS but don't like the bulk, stickiness and edge around the screen.

I've only dropped it a few times from waist height. Does the life proof protect well enough against this?

Does the gen2 life proof solve the sound quality and screen pillowing issues?

Looking for impressions from those that have used these. Thanks.

2. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I've been reading up on which case to get for my 4S as well, and it looks like the lifeproof is a good choice. It's rated to protect your phone from a height of 2m (6.6ft), which would be about head height for the tallest of person. It's also completely waterproof, which is nice (you can use your phone in the pool/shower).

I have a friend who uses an otterbox defender, and I definitely believe it really is way too bulky for every day use.

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I got the gen 2 Lifeproof 3 days ago. I really like it a lot surprisingly given some of the stuff I have read about it on here. From what I have seen so far there is some pillowing of the screen, but it really does not affect the use. Typing is easy just as always, it just feels different. As to the sound, there is still some muffling of the sound. I don't think you can avoid this though given the design of the case. The back of the case really does serve as an amplifier for the sound and if you have the phone and case laying face up on something like a bed or pillow or soft couch, you will not hear the phone that well. On hard surfaces though it is not an issue. As to the complaints about the user sounding muffled when talking on the phone with someone, I have done a good bit of testing on this over the weekend and have found this to be a non-issue. This must have been fixed.

So overall, I really do like the case a lot. It is a lot slimmer than the otterbox. it will not stretch out or deform. No way is any dust or dirt going to get into the case. I can use it in the shower or in my pool. :D

Also, I posted in one of the other threads on the LifeProof cases here about a 20% off printable coupon for the case if you buy it at BestBuy (Good through 10/31/11). (BestBuy sells the Gen 2 cases in black and white.) Got mine for 65$ rather than 80$. :)