Life Span increase

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Airboy1466, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Please correct me if I’m wrong the new rMB has a core M which is slightly worse than a core i3 sandy bridge making the core i5/i7 hasswell and broadwell chips

Moving on to my point because now that apple has used core M that would mean that future versions of OS X will Nurffed down for the next 4 years to be stable enough to run on the core M with no lag which would mean a device such as the (Mid 2012 MBP) has a life span now of at minimum 7 years maybe this is why apple still has it in line-up so that would mean our 2013-2015 MBA will last 7 years or more?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I don't think apple is going to strip OS X down to give current machines a lifespan of 7 years. Apple is in the business if selling computers not making sure that they last 7 years.

3. Airboy1466 thread starter macrumors regular

Airboy1466

no no you read it completely wrong I’m saying core M is worse than the ivy bridge in the (Mid 2012) MBP and at minimum all apple laptops get updates for at least 4 years from original release date meaning the mid 2012 will last at least another 4 years giving it a 7 year life span

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, I agree, its a slower performer because its superior battery performance.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have a 2009 Mac Mini still rocking, I have a 2010 MBP laptop the same. Apple (AFAIK) has no stated policy of supporting laptops for 4 years.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

You can't say that Core M is worse than Ivy Bridge. It's much more complicated than that. You have to take into consideration power/thermal budgets. For light use, the Core M will be just as fast as anything else.