Life span of Series 3 AW

jazzer15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Can anyone venture a guess as to how long a Series 3 watch would be supported, capable of upgrading to the newest OS, etc. ?

I'm trying to determine the value vs. a Series 5. It's half the price now, but it would also generate a lower return on resale or trade for a possible upgrade in the future. Also, should new features in the next version or two not matter much to me, the 5 should still be able to run whatever new OS is out there. I'm not sure if the same would be true of the 3, although I know people who are still using a series 1 without any complaints or issues.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
Since they're still selling the 3, I doubt it's dead just yet. Also, your watch won't immediately stop working should updates stop being available. Also, just imagine the lack of update bugs you won't have to worry about!

I stopped updating apps or the OS ever since iOS 7. Boy was that one ugly mess. Learned that lesson only once, I did!

I bought Apple because they live a lot longer than other OEMs/systems. I got a PowerBook G4 that's 20 years old today. I half expect my Watch will last that long too if I take good care of it.

Reactions: japanime and Jxdawg

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I bought Apple because they live a lot longer than other OEMs/systems. I got a PowerBook G4 that's 20 years old today. I half expect my Watch will last that long too if I take good care of it.
With regular battery replacements and not upgrading your iOS, I suspect you could as well. While I am too lazy to undertake such an adventure I would sure be interested in seeing the results a few years on, hopefully you keep notes and update us in the future.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I will. So far the oldest is my PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.2. Still able to pull up SSL secured websites and download podcasts, connects to Plex, the DVD drive still works, and the battery still gives 3 hours of screen on time playing audio, or 1.5 DVD video. It's a 20 year old battery. There's not one Dell or Windows-based PC whos battery isn't displaying an X or ! or 00% charge after one year in my experience. If there's only one shortcoming to the PowerBook, its not having compatibility with wifi. None of my USB dongles show up, and I'm stuck with ethernet only so it remains on a desk in my home office.

Reactions: Plett

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
Keep in mind everyone is just speculating. I would say it has at least 1 but likely 2 major updates before it becomes unsupported.

bodonnell202

macrumors 65832
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Considering the Series 1&2 are still supported I'd be willing to bet it will get a minimum of 2 more updates (i.e. Series 3 should get WatchOS 7 & 8) so will likely be able to run the latest version until at least Fall 2022, and quite possibly longer.

Reactions: PugMaster

jazzer15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Considering the Series 1&2 are still supported I'd be willing to bet it will get a minimum of 2 more updates (i.e. Series 3 should get WatchOS 7 & 8) so will likely be able to run the latest version until at least Fall 2022, and quite possibly longer.
If that's right (and I realize it is all speculation), it is probably worth it for someone like me. I previously had a Fitbit Versa and just gave it to a relative. It did 90% (maybe more) of what I wanted it to do, so I am a bit hesitant to pay up for the 5.

I could get a Versa 2 currently for $139 or a Series 3 for about $60-$80 more, depending on size. Although I could spring for the 5, I'm not sure if my general use would warrant the price difference. If I really like it after using it for several months, I could get the 6 when it comes out, which I suspect will be a bigger step up than the 5 was from the 4. Alternatively I could just go for the Versa 2 and wait for the 6 and buy it when it comes out or get the 5 at that time at a reduced price.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
Remember, "unsupported" doesn't equate to "unusable". People seem to take too much thought into updates, and then come here and complain about the updates breaking something or adding a bug.

Also, whatever watch updates you get also depend on the connected iPhone being supported as well. I don't know if the 6S will be getting iOS 14, which might be required for a future watchOS update.

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If that's right (and I realize it is all speculation), it is probably worth it for someone like me. I previously had a Fitbit Versa and just gave it to a relative. It did 90% (maybe more) of what I wanted it to do, so I am a bit hesitant to pay up for the 5.

I could get a Versa 2 currently for $139 or a Series 3 for about $60-$80 more, depending on size. Although I could spring for the 5, I'm not sure if my general use would warrant the price difference. If I really like it after using it for several months, I could get the 6 when it comes out, which I suspect will be a bigger step up than the 5 was from the 4. Alternatively I could just go for the Versa 2 and wait for the 6 and buy it when it comes out or get the 5 at that time at a reduced price.
Between the Versa 2 And the Series 3, I’d say it depends on how dynamic you want the watch to be. I think the Apple Watch is more of a computer, where the Versa is really kind of just fitness orientated. If you want to save the money and fitness is priority, then the Fitbit would probably be more of an appropriate solution. But with the Series 3, there’s no better pairing with iOS than the Apple Watch.

Reactions: jazzer15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.