Life with jailbreak on down the road...?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gopherhockey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

So there are a lot of questions about jailbreak and I apologize for starting yet another, but my question is more of life with jailbraeak and not current issues or problems.

So I backed up my iPhone 4 prior to jailbreak. This gives me a place to restore from as of August 1, 2010.

Now as I use the phone I will collect some cydia apps, which I understand I can back up using pkgbackup (or other methods) and that I can re-download these in the future if I re-jailbreak.

But what of iPhone apps I buy from now until I go back to August 1, 2010? Do I have to write the names of all these apps down so I can re-download them later? I assume backups I take from now on are not very useful if I ever want to upgrade the phone (they are only useful to restore back to jailbreak status)

This seems like a management nightmare not worth the benefit of jailbreak, but I wanted to post to see what others do.

In my mind I imagine a few months go by and 4.1 comes out and I want to upgrade, so I have to revert back to my Aug 1 backup, then figure out how to get all the apps on my phone that were installed since... not to mention any other changes that won't be backed up.

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Nothing changes in the day to day operations of the App Store, syncing or purchasing.

Purchased apps install normally, get synced normally, and are there any time you do a restore. You don't have to restore back to before you were jailbroken, to start anew.

Now....there are some App Store apps that don't run if you are jailbroken. Don't know all of them, and I personally delete them as soon as I see this, so I'm not sure on the App names. Some developers think jailbreakers only do it to download apps for free.

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

Not quite sure I understand your real concern, as your description seems redundant to me, but here's all I know...for any Apple approved application that you have on iPhone (yes I still get those even when I am JB), those still will sync into your iTunes before/after JB and nothing changes. For any JB apps, you can use the app you mentioned, Pkgbackup, and it will be your "iTunes for JB" apps, so there's nothing to worry about. The JB apps will not come back with any sort of iTunes restore, however, the Pkgbackup app makes it very easy to redownload all JB apps. So not too much to manage if you prepare yourself and do it right.

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

5. gopherhockey thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

Ok, so let me get this straight... I can continue to back up via iTunes and when the day comes to upgrade to iOS 4.1 I just reset my phone to factory and I can restore a backup from anytime (even after jailbreak) and all is good?

So at no point do I really need to go back to my Aug 1 backup? Isn't this the *only* way to remove jailbreak.. ?

It seems so many are saying to keep this backup because its in some way special... but from what I am reading so far this is not the case.

I would think backups from now on would have some residual from the jailbreak that would not allow a clean upgrade to 4.1 when the time comes. Thats where my question lies... going back to pre-jailbrake (in my example, Aug 1) would leave my phone without subsequently purchased apps or updates, would it not?

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

It was important to fix the face time bug in the jailbreak. But the devteam already fixed that. Yes you can restore a backup from after the jailbreak. The only time I wouldn't do this is if your bringing it in for service. Cause they'll be able to see the jailbreak user data.

For that you want to restore to a fresh firmware. Don't restore a backup. Then go into general settings reset and erase all content and settings. Then bring it to apple and they can't tell it was ever jail broken.

7. gopherhockey thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

Ok, starting to make sense. Basically my Aug 1 backup isn't special at all... if I want to restore I'll do it from whatever the latest backup is, and if I want service I'll just reset and erase.

Last question.. if I want to remove jailbreak from my phone at some point I can reset to factory and restore any of my backups? (assuming the backups are just ignoring cydia and all its apps)

Thx.

8. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

I have JB my iPhone yesterday in my opinion it's pointless now i know why Apple are against it most of the apps i have installed don't work and god knows what my phone is open to now, restore time for me

9. Kayan macrumors 6502

Many apps are beginning to work, just be patient padowan:) The exact same thing happened when the new iOS was released: there was a period of about a month when lots and lots of apps were being updated to support multitasking, retina display, etc... Why would any of the apps already be up to date and ready to go if no one had access to them since the JB wasn't released?

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Your nuts. Mywi and FaceTime over 3G is enough for me both working already. You have to learn the apps to trust. It just got released yesterday give the devs s chance to update.

11. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

No its ***** facetime is ***** too used it twice