Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
So I just bought a new Macbook Pro Retina and I noticed that it didn't come with flash pre installed. Which made me happy! But as I started using it, I noticed some websites still use flash. So I want to start a forum to help people who are also refusing to install flash and need alternatives to flash websites.

The first one I found was

Anyone else welcomed to add to the list

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Ooh this is helpful, thanks! I've managed to get by pretty well for the past 6 months or so without Flash. Things are definitely improving.

thebro20

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
you can always install flash and add the extension clicktoflash that way you'll have the option to use flash if you need to. HTML5 will always be the default if available

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
If you are using Safari you don't need any extension. You can choose which websites to trust and for which plugins. It works well.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Safari is my default browser, great for easily 99% of the sites I visit. Love me that Reader mode, and its Continuity hooks into my iOS activities makes for some fantastic convenience.

But occasionally, rarely, once in a blue moon, I'll come across some site with Flash-based content that I need to access.

Now, I have Developer Mode enabled in Safari, and often I can switch to an iPhone or iPad user-agent, and the Flash content will be replaced with HTML5.

But occasionally even that doesn't work, and the site insists on presenting Flash-based content. For those situations I keep a copy of Google's Chrome browser installed. It integrates its own Flash engine. So, for one of those 1% URLs, I'll just copy the URL from Safari and paste it into Chrome. Voila.

Then, when done, I quit Chrome. And with it goes Flash and all its insecurities and resource-hogginess.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Safari is my default browser, great for easily 99% of the sites I visit. Love me that Reader mode, and its Continuity hooks into my iOS activities makes for some fantastic convenience.

But occasionally, rarely, once in a blue moon, I'll come across some site with Flash-based content that I need to access.

Now, I have Developer Mode enabled in Safari, and often I can switch to an iPhone or iPad user-agent, and the Flash content will be replaced with HTML5.

But occasionally even that doesn't work, and the site insists on presenting Flash-based content. For those situations I keep a copy of Google's Chrome browser installed. It integrates its own Flash engine. So, for one of those 1% URLs, I'll just copy the URL from Safari and paste it into Chrome. Voila.

Then, when done, I quit Chrome. And with it goes Flash and all its insecurities and resource-hogginess.

I use Safari 99.9% of the time. And just like you, I have Chrome installed for those few applications that force the flash issue. It seems to work well for that aspect. I also like it being isolated in that matter.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use Safari 99.9% of the time. And just like you, I have Chrome installed for those few applications that force the flash issue. It seems to work well for that aspect. I also like it being isolated in that matter.

Doing the same here. I found this Applescript that will launch the current Safari page in a new Chrome tab. I just run the script from Alfred and Chrome pops right up with the correct URL from Safari.

Code:
if application "Safari" is running then
	tell application "Safari"
		try
			set currentSafariURL to URL of current tab of front window
			set pageName to name of current tab of front window
		on error
			return "There are no pages open in Safari at the moment"
		end try
	end tell

tell application "Google Chrome"
		activate

# If Chrome has no windows open make a new window
		if (count of windows) is 0 then make new window
		set currentChromeURL to URL of active tab of front window

# Don't do anything if the page is already open in Chrome
		if currentChromeURL is not currentSafariURL then

# If the active tab is in use make a new tab
			if currentChromeURL is not "chrome://newtab/" then
				make new tab at end of tabs of front window
			end if

# Open the URL from Safari
			set URL of active tab of front window to currentSafariURL

else
			return "The current Safari tab is already open in Chrome"
		end if
	end tell

# Enable the following line to post notifications after sending URLs to Chrome
	--return "Opening '" & pageName & "' in Chrome"
else
	return "Safari is not open at the moment"
end if

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Doing the same here. I found this Applescript that will launch the current Safari page in a new Chrome tab. I just run the script from Alfred and Chrome pops right up with the correct URL from Safari.

Code:
if application "Safari" is running then
	tell application "Safari"
		try
			set currentSafariURL to URL of current tab of front window
			set pageName to name of current tab of front window
		on error
			return "There are no pages open in Safari at the moment"
		end try
	end tell

tell application "Google Chrome"
		activate

# If Chrome has no windows open make a new window
		if (count of windows) is 0 then make new window
		set currentChromeURL to URL of active tab of front window

# Don't do anything if the page is already open in Chrome
		if currentChromeURL is not currentSafariURL then

# If the active tab is in use make a new tab
			if currentChromeURL is not "chrome://newtab/" then
				make new tab at end of tabs of front window
			end if

# Open the URL from Safari
			set URL of active tab of front window to currentSafariURL

else
			return "The current Safari tab is already open in Chrome"
		end if
	end tell

# Enable the following line to post notifications after sending URLs to Chrome
	--return "Opening '" & pageName & "' in Chrome"
else
	return "Safari is not open at the moment"
end if

Very cool script. Thanks for sharing, Weasel. I copied the code and pasted into script editor and then saved it as an application on the desktop. Works great. Is there a cleaner and more direct way for me to do that?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Very cool script. Thanks for sharing, Weasel. I copied the code and pasted into script editor and then saved it as an application on the desktop. Works great. Is there a cleaner and more direct way for me to do that?

I would just move the application you made to the /Applications folder then launch it using Spotlight.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Doing the same here. I found this Applescript that will launch the current Safari page in a new Chrome.

In Safari prefs, just turn on the Debug Menu. It already has a command to open the current Safari page in other browsers. Much simpler, I think...

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I've gone nearly non-Flash because I installed Click2Flash and set the YouTube video player to HTML5. As added bonuses, it loads more quickly when you're paused (because the YouTube player throttles you), there are no ads, and it doesn't unload everything when you try to rewind. YouTube was the second to last site that requires Flash that I use. And no, you can't just use YouTube's HTML5 player. It requires me to install Flash anyway for some reason, and besides, not every video is supported.

speedof.me doesn't work too well. For some reason, it always freezes on the upload test for me. speedtest.net is the last website that requires Flash that I use.

By the way, just about every site HAS some Flash on it somewhere. I set it so Flash needs permission to run since it's a security hole, and I always see it asking me to run it on some site that really shouldn't need it. PayPal login, for example. I never allow it.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have never used Automator before. You went a little fast for me. Can you break the actual steps for this Automator newbie, please? :)
Launch Automator.

Select "Service".

On the left : Library / Utilities : drag "Run Applescript" to the right side of the window.

On top of the window : "Service receives selected" = URL addresses, in = Safari

Replace "Your script goes here" with Weaselboy's script.

Menu bar / File / Export, select : account_name/Library/Services as destination folder.

Last edited:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Flash is dead. It's becoming less and less of an issue with websites using flash. I still have flash installed on my PC, because meh. There are some websites that still use it and I'm okay with it

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In Safari prefs, just turn on the Debug Menu. It already has a command to open the current Safari page in other browsers. Much simpler, I think...

Oh sure... that will work also. I just find it faster to use KB shortcuts in Alfred rather than clicking around in menus.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I won't taint my OS with Flash, or any Adobe product for that matter. I use Pixelmator instead of Photoshop and if I need to visit a site that uses flash I will fire up my Windows 8 Parallels VM.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008

This is great advice! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.