Lifelong Android user with IOS question.

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by da_committee, Nov 9, 2016.

1. da_committee macrumors newbie

da_committee

After being a lifelong Android user I decided to make the switch. So far so good, loving the integration between my apple watch, phone, and Ipad. However I have one question...
    Is there a way I can have my Wi-Fi automatically turn off when I connect to a Bluetooth device? When I am driving my iPhone continuously searches and connects to Spectrum hotspots and it disturbs my network connection constantly (sucks when listening to music). On Android this was an easy fix due to many apps available on the Play Store but have not found any on the Apple Store. I don't care if it's a paid app. I am really tired of having to remember to turn off Wi-Fi when I leave my house and then turning it on again when I return.

Thanks !!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you typically use those Spectrum hotspots?

3. da_committee thread starter macrumors newbie

da_committee

Yes, so I would like to keep that Wi-Fi connection saved.

4. addamas macrumors 6502

addamas

From what I know there is no app like Android Llama or AutomateIT for iOS in Apple Store.
    That's probably because no app can change on it's own: WiFi, Cellular etc.

This may be possible with jailbreak but right now there is no official JB (root ) for iOS 9.3.5 or newer.

Personally I turn off WiFi manually from control center when I leave "friendly wifi area " or tell Siri to do that for me...

5. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I would love to know too if this has ever been explored, in the same boat. So far I never heard of a solution other than remembering to turn off my WiFi manually.

6. da_committee thread starter macrumors newbie

da_committee

Seems like something some mundane for a simple app or IOS function to do but no cigar.

7. GreyOS, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

There's no way to do this in ios unfortunately, it's not just that an app hasn't been made yet
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    You can set a location based reminder - 'when I get in my car' - which you could use to remind you to turn off wifi. But I'm not sure if you can set up repeating location notifications - maaaybe an app can do this? Worth investigation perhaps. But this is probably quite an annoying solution. Best option really is you just get into the habit of remembering, which I appreciate isn't the answer you want.

8. addamas macrumors 6502

addamas

No app have access to current connected cell tower name?
    In some ways I like how closed iOS is but in some like searching wifi around it's a toy (only Airdrop created by... Apple can show you wifi networks around and calculate strength ).

Edit: why I ask for cell tower? It's way less battery draining than using GPS to find location.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

iOS does have assisted GPS and uses cell tower and wifi locations to help locate you. I don't think it directly exposes that information to apps, but it does let apps query location at different levels of accuracy. If the app is only interested in a very rough location then when it queries iOS for location, iOS will probably only use cell tower or wifi for location rather than GPS. But the app can't get cell tower informatio, and the exact mechanisms for finding location aren't always clear.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apps don't have access to things like Wi-Fi which is why there aren't any available and likely never will be (apart from Jailbreak ones).

You can use Siri (Say "Turn Off Wi-Fi") which isn't as convenient as doing it automatically, but at least means you don't have to touch your phone to do it if you have Hey Siri turned on

11. da_committee thread starter macrumors newbie

da_committee

12. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Ookla Speedtest can tell you tower name and distance.

13. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

No it can't

14. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Ok, then what exactly is this showing?

IMG_1017.PNG

15. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Thats just the server and its location being used to test the download\upload speeds i believe not the cell tower.

16. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Besides this WIFI/Bluetooth request of the TS I would also like to see an option that it selects the strongest WIFI signal and/or in an order of your choice. I did found this WiFi Priority app and these two nice widgets: Wi-fi Check Widget and Current WiFi (unfortunately you can't quickly switch between WIFI network though from those widgets) though but haven't tried it out though.

Indeed that is it.

17. teddybearstand macrumors regular

teddybearstand

Not quite sure if this will help. But this is one of the weak spots of iOS that i've just gotten used to over the years.

With wifi calling enabled it makes it less painful though. At home or when im in a wifi area, i switch on airplane mode and wifi (this switches off cellular data which saves a ton of battery). When i am about to leave i turn airplane mode and wifi off from cc. Its just a habit now.

This could work for you as bluetooth will automatically turn on with airplane off.