Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Lifeprint Launches Larger WiFi-Equipped AR Photo Printer That's Available Exclusively From Apple

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lifeprint, known for its photo printers that come equipped with augmented reality technology, today announced the launch of its latest printer, which is larger than the original version to let iPhone users print bigger pictures.

The new Lifeprint photo printer can print images that are 3 by 4.5 inches, up from 2 by 3 inches. WiFi is new to this version of the printer, which means you can print to a Lifeprint printer from anywhere in the world and send photos to printers owned by friends and family. Bluetooth is also available for local printing.

With Lifeprint printers, you also can print a still of a video or a Live Photo and then use the Lifeprint app to see an augmented reality version of the video, essentially bringing your photos to life. It's a little bit gimmicky, but it can be a fun way to share videos with friends. It's also a neat way to print and share Live Photos.

Like many of the miniature iPhone printers on the market, Lifeprint printers use ZINK paper, which allows for color images without ink cartridges. ZINK also has a sticky back, so all of your printed photos double as stickers. On the downside, ZINK is expensive at over $1 per photo when using the Lifeprint-branded paper in the new size.

You can print photos, videos, Live Photos, GIFs, Snaps, and more with Lifeprint, and the Lifeprint app has built-in tools for editing your images and adding stickers, filters, and captions. There's also integration with Instagram and Facebook so you can print directly from your social network.
"For our second printer, we wanted to go bigger and broader. The larger film is classic instant camera size and really captures that retro look and feel. Perfect for decorating your walls. But more importantly the WiFi capability means you're always connected. This allows users to print to and from anywhere in the world. No matter where you are, you're connected and ready to print. And of course, the magical Harry Potter-like Hyperphotos still bring those videos to life in your hands. Super cool."
Lifeprint's new 3x4.5 printer is available exclusively from Apple.com and Apple retail stores for $149.99 starting today. Film is priced at $50 for a pack of 40 and $30 for a pack of 20.

Article Link: Lifeprint Launches Larger WiFi-Equipped AR Photo Printer That's Available Exclusively From Apple

jackth29

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Tim: What's the most common complaint for that demographic?
Craig: Customers over 65 years old?
Tim: Yes, Craig.
Craig: they're by and large upset that the "Live Photos are printing as regular photos"
Tim:

And that kids, is the beginning of the story of how we increased the Genius Bar efficiency by 70%.

Reactions: 341328 and Koodauw
Comment

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Interesting idea, but film packs are quite expensive. If you want to print a bunch of pictures an online print service is way cheaper than buying this printer and its films, so I don't think it is a good alternative, at least at home.
Maybe some businesses can take advantage of a product like this, for example clubs usually put pictures of their parties and concerts on social media, it would be great to give the possibility to have a printed version of a picture with your friends when you're living the venue. That's just the first use case that came to my mind, I'm sure there are many others

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So if I understand, you capture a video or animated image (GIF, Live Photo, etc.), then print a still image of that. When you hold that image up in the camera, it displays the animation or video feed in place of the photo? That's actually really cool! But yah, gimmicky.

Comment

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
So if I understand, you capture a video or animated image (GIF, Live Photo, etc.), then print a still image of that. When you hold that image up in the camera, it displays the animation or video feed in place of the photo? That's actually really cool! But yah, gimmicky.

Yes, they obviously can print a still image not a live one, but they somehow recognise the picture when you use their app and hold it in front of your iPhone so they can play the live photo.

Comment

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
So does the images just move for the phone that took them or any phone with app able to see the moving image? Because if not then why even print it when you can just view on phone since you are doing that anyway?

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Interesting/fun concept.
Cheaper way to print digital photos? You bet.
The portability/convenience and AI aspects could be justify higher per print costs, in some scenarios.
Gimmicky? Maybe. I see it as another example of what is possible with AI. We're just scratching the surface.
I can see why Tim is all-in on AI.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
According to their site the software collects all of your photos, even the ones from social media. I don’t know if there’s an opt out setting to avoid that. It’s not just your camera roll.

They have interesting remarks about lewd photos so I’m not sure if all photos are monitored for content or not or how. I’m not interested in the product enough to look into it further. None of us use paper anymore. If we want a picture we look at it on our phones or tablets.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
1. Device is too expensive.

2. Photopaper is way too expensive.

3. Who prints photo's nowadays.

4. Oh Wow, it prints photo's over WiFi.

Last edited:
Reactions: macs4nw
Comment

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016

3. Who prints foto's nowadays.

4. Oh Wow, it prints foto's over WiFi.

Who prints Photos* nowadays? Mabe some do. Don’t assume just because you and your family/friends don’t do it.

I have noticed quite a few people in this forum make similar comments like this - a lot of assumption. I do hope you know what they say when you Ass-u-me? Serious question.

Anyway, I really like the idea but like everyone said, it’s expensive. I rather buy the average iPhone X and that is saying something lol

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Who prints Photos* nowadays? Mabe some do. Don’t assume just because you and your family/friends don’t do it.

I have noticed quite a few people in this forum make similar comments like this - a lot of assumption. I do hope you know what they say when you Ass-u-me? Serious question.

Anyway, I really like the idea but like everyone said, it’s expensive. I rather buy the average iPhone X and that is saying something lol

Sure there are people who print photos, not that many though, I don't know anyone which does.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

I occasionally print photos. A little something to put on the wall. Out of curiosity, how are your walls decorated, or are they bare?
[doublepost=1512500750][/doublepost]
Like many of the miniature iPhone printers on the market, Lifeprint printers use ZINK paper, which allows for color images without ink cartridges.

I've never used one of these kinds of printers. How does it print without ink cartridges? Is it in the paper? Or is it the kind of thing where when you finish a particular color (red, yellow, blue or black), you have to throw away the whole printer and get a totally new one? Seems kind of wasteful if you have to throw the whole thing out if you finish just one color.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6803390
Comment

XstyleY

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
I cannot find the new model on the apple website, just show me the old one...

Comment

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016
I occasionally print photos. A little something to put on the wall. Out of curiosity, how are your walls decorated, or are they bare?

I've never used one of these kinds of printers. How does it print without ink cartridges? Is it in the paper? Or is it the kind of thing where when you finish a particular color (red, yellow, blue or black), you have to throw away the whole printer and get a totally new one? Seems kind of wasteful if you have to throw the whole thing out if you finish just one color.

I was not asking a question. Can you not see I responded to someone’s post? You have literally wasted my time on this post. Please re-read 10 Times first before you respond to someone’s post.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Zink (Technology)

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003

4. Oh Wow, it prints foto's over WiFi.
I was not asking a question. Can you not see I responded to someone’s post? You have literally wasted my time on this post. Please re-read 10 Times first before you respond to someone’s post.

My bad, fixed it.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
I don't have walls, I don't have a house, I don't have children, I do have a girl and family, photo's on iPhone.

Umm, sorry if this is rude, but where do you live that doesn't have walls? Or, where do you work? Are you allowed to decorate your work area? Just asking out of curiosity. I and a lot of people I know like putting up pictures of themselves, family & friends. If you don't, that fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: 6803390
Comment

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California

Yep, it's the paper, which is why it's so expensive. It's heat sensitive. I have a Polaroid ZIP printer I got as a gift that uses the same paper, and the photos are not quite as high quality as a higher-end printer that uses ink, but it's decent.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Yep, it's the paper, which is why it's so expensive. It's heat sensitive. I have a Polaroid ZIP printer I got as a gift that uses the same paper, and the photos are not quite as high quality as a higher-end printer that uses ink, but it's decent.

Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with Polaroids, but haven't really heard of printers like this for digital photos. Interesting.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Umm, sorry if this is rude, but where do you live that doesn't have walls? Or, where do you work? Are you allowed to decorate your work area? Just asking out of curiosity. I and a lot of people I know like putting up pictures of themselves, family & friends. If you don't, that fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Not rude.
I don't have a house currently, just a place to sleep, no, I am not a wanderer/tramp/bum, just not having a steady place now, will change in a couple of months.
I don't really like pictures of family, I prefer art on the walls.

Why is it that the silliest and most irritating posts are always from people who can't spell.

Spelling-Oops, fixed.:oops: But then again, how many languages do you speak/write.
Irritating, not really, 1-2-4 are facts, 3 was might be irritating but there aren't that many people which print photo's nowadays.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.