Lifeproof case for 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by paulie6978, Oct 14, 2011.

1. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

Does anyone have this? How much more bulk does it add? I really like it but need some more feedback from it......

2. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I bought one from Best Buy yesterday. It does add some bulk but nothing like the OtterBox defender. It makes the phone a little longer and wider but is still very thin.

3. Biff..., Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Did you use the Best Buy 20% off coupon posted in the other thread?

4. Kaenon macrumors regular

I just bought it today.

But the lens in the back cover popped out so I'm going to take it back :(

5. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Don't do it!!!

I bought 3 Lifeproof cases when they first came out for my iPhone 4's. I gave one as a gift and kept two and had planned on using them on the two new 4S models. All three cases first shipped had the pillow effect, Newton rings, low volume/muffled sound and speakerphone echo. They shipped me a couple of new fronts with the "sticker" fix. It is just a cheap small rubber seal around the top mic. Both seals were screwed up so the problems remained but the pillow effect was fixed. Called them about the problems, sent those back and they shipped three complete new cases. The one I gave as a gift is now coming back. The recipient doesn't even want to try it based on my past issues, which continue. The word "gift" in German means "poison" and that is exactly what this case is. Both of the two new latest cases I kept still have a pillow effect, which does not go away over time and cannot be "squeezed out." Volume still reduced on both (blowing into the mic port as suggested has no effect other than making you look stupid), and one has Newton rings again, right in the center of the screen.

I have called many times this week and keep getting a recording saying that all agents are busy and to leave a message. You can't. The mailbox is full and the phone disconnects. Altogether I spent 210 bucks plus shipping, and countless hours for what has turned out to be a nightmare of worthless junk. Sure, the thing is waterproof, but it is also userproof. Now I just want a refund and can't even get them on the phone or leave a message. However, I have to give credit where it is due. They are almost as good at marketing as Apple. If only that were true of their design and QC.

6. maliu macrumors 6502a

Kaenon, just put it back in and re water test. They are press fit and it you clean too hard on the outside with no phone you can push it out. If it leaks they'll replace it. I have had one since June. Incredible case.

7. Kaenon macrumors regular

I did get it back in, but the gasket wouldn't shape exactly round around the camera lens no matter how many times I popped the lens back in.

For water proofing I didn't want to take a chance even though it may pass one water test after I re-tested for 1 hour.

Took it back to Best Buy and got my refund.

I'll just try to keep my phone away from water (Plus, I wasn't a huge fan of the way the screen and the iPhone screen worked together).

8. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I have it. It's an awesome case. I have NO issues with it at all. It's waterproof, shock proof, and dust proof. (I work in a bakery and got flour all over it tonight, and i just blew out all the flour, the phone was in pristine condition. No issues with the 'bubble' on the screen protector. It works just like it would without it.

I'm a happy Lifeproof owner.

9. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I've been thinking of picking one of these up. I like having a heavy duty case when I am mtn biking or road cycling. I typically have been using an Otterbox Defender or Commuter. I was looking for something a bit smaller than the Defender and a little more water resistant than the Commuter.

10. Kaenon macrumors regular

If it wasn't for the lens popping out I probably would've kept it, but I couldn't use it as an every day case (but I think the seal is only good for 50 takes on/off?).

11. brcobb macrumors newbie

I have The Lifeproof case on my 4S and it does fit fine. However, the auto brightness does not work properly. I tested the phone without the case and it works fine. My iPhone 4 auto brightness works fine in/out of the case. I didnt think the light sensor had changed.

12. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I love my lifeproof case but for some reason it isn't loud enough anymore. This morning I missed my alarm for work for the first time because my lifeproof muted it so much.

13. fc1956 macrumors newbie

Light sensor issue

Hey, folks.
    I've purchased two of these cases, and they both have the same issue, i.e., that the light sensor doesn't respond properly. That is, when going from bright light to dim, or vice versa, the screen doesn't change brightness as its supposed to. Otherwise, the case is really nice. I enjoy the combination of toughness and water resistance, especially in a case so relatively small. I emailed them about the issue, and am awaiting their reply. However, I expect to end up returning the second case as well. :(
    Anyone else have this problem? Any diy fixes?

Thanks,
    FC
    :apple:

----------

The case makes the iphone insignificantly larger, esp. in comparison to cases like the Defender, Griffin Survivior, etc. That's one of the reasons why I like it so much, but the light sensor issue is killing it for me...:mad:

FC

14. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Aside from all of the other issues I posted above...now this. I have two 4S iPhones, one naked, one in the Lifeproof. Guess which one has a light sensor/screen that won't dim. I never even noticed that one. This thing is really a piece of EXPENSIVE junk. Back to the Defender for me I guess.

15. tbbucs10 macrumors newbie

A saw a report today that the light sensor was moved slightly in the 4s, so cases that cover the front are not going to work correctly. Lifeproof has stated that if you bought the case after the 4s was released, you can return it for the new design once they have it in a few weeks.

16. CK Seal Beach macrumors newbie

Yes, the brightness sensor was moved on the 4S. Lifeproof has a video to show how to modify it, or you can wait a couple of weeks and they will exchange your cover for a new one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyHiK...e_gdata_player

Highly recommend removing the small vertical plastic strips inside the case, that run parallel to the screen. Removing these allows the cover to sit flush with the screen, yay!