LifeProof case worth the money?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by parkm13, Nov 25, 2012.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 and am seriously considering buying a LifeProof case. The main perk for me would be the waterproof abilities of the case. Before I buy I would like to know two things, first does the waterproofing work every time? I don't want to end up with a soggy phone. Second, are there any other cases that give the same protection, but still have a relatively small form factor? Thanks in advance for all your help!

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

3. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I understand the case is high but I ski all winter and swim all summer so would love to be able to use my phone in the water

4. yamatitan macrumors member

I wouldnt use it for that, they are really designed for accidental swims not made to be constantly pushing the limits. If one o-ring tears or you forget to screw something down (headphone jack) your gonna be in for a bad day. The most common mistake I see is the charger port looks fully seated but may be off a little and lets water in.

5. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't plan on keeping it in the water with me, just if I drop it in the pool/lake will it live?

6. AndroidBlows macrumors member

Yes. Buy one. I water ski with mine all summer long. Works as advertised.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I used one for three weeks in 99% humidity of a tropical jungle with the occasionally down-pour. Zero moisture inside. No problems.

I ordered another for my wife's iphone as she tends to leave it around at parties. I tested it's waterproofness in a bowl of water (as advertised on lifeproof website). Her's leaked in two separate tests. Going to exchange it for a new one. So, get it and test it to make sure you get a good one.

8. yamatitan macrumors member

Yes but test it first when you get it.

9. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the comments, looks like I will be geting one. For testing it should I just put a paper towel in it and stick it under water to see if it leaks? Or is there some technical way to test it?

10. AndroidBlows macrumors member

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes it is worth it. It's the best waterproof case money can buy.

12. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Yup that's all you have to do. It gives you directions on how to test it when you get it.