LifeProof Debuts Slimmer NUUD Case for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Well-known case maker LifeProof today unveiled a new version of its waterproof NUUD iPhone case for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The company put an emphasis on making a slimmer case while ensuring that it remained waterproof and drop proof (up to 6.6 feet), as well as dirt and snow proof.

Like previous NUUD cases, the iPhone 7's screen is uncovered, providing direct display access "while adding minimal size and weight to the phone." The company also noted that all features of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus remain accessible with the NUUD case on, "making LifeProof iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus cases a by-your-side necessity for any adventure."
"Our engineers consider a lot of consumer feedback in the design process, and they set out to create the best NÜÜD ever," said LifeProof CEO Jim Parke. "They've done just that. The new NÜÜD design for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus features a fully transparent back so you can show off your iPhone and enhanced audio to keep calls and music crystal clear. NÜÜD delivers an experience that's in a league of its own."
Other additions to the new case include a transparent back "so you can show off your iPhone," as well as enhanced audio so phone calls and music remain crystal clear while the NUUD case is on the iPhone. The camera cover has also been redesigned to collect less dust so users won't have to worry about debris getting caught and disrupting the lens field.

NUUD for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus is available to purchase for $99.99 on LifeProof's website. Colors for both versions of the case include: Black, Mermaid Teal, Midnight Indigo Blue, and Plum Reef Purple.

Article Link: LifeProof Debuts Slimmer NUUD Case for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
They seem to have upgraded everything in the case. I wonder how easily the back will scratch>? The old ones still did that with less clear plastic.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I've tried so many brands of these waterproof cases, and while they do the job of protecting the phone, they all exhibit the same horrible side-effect - the audio becomes so muffled or distorted to the point where it becomes unbearable. Let's hope that the next iPhone will offer the same technology in the Series 2 Apple Watch so a case won't be needed, at least around the speakers.

asggold

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I've tried so many brands of these waterproof cases, and while they do the job of protecting the phone, they all exhibit the same horrible side-effect - the audio becomes so muffled or distorted to the point where it becomes unbearable. Let's hope that the next iPhone will offer the same technology in the Series 2 Apple Watch so a case won't be needed, at least around the speakers.
I agree! That is the major problem with the Lifeproof Cases. I really like the waterproofing but even using as a phone becomes impossible after little amount of time. The microphone is so muffled it is very hard to hear you on the other end of a call. When you contact Lifeproof support they always tell you to blow into the microphone hole on the case. That sometimes fixes it but only for a min.

Pyrhonen

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I have the RedPepper waterproof for my Iphone 7 Plus, sound ain't too bad.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I had a Lifeproof case for my 6+ but never found the inconvenience of the bulky, sound muffling case to be worth the security of knowing that I wouldn't hurt my phone by dropping it in the pool/lake/toilet.

I didn't trust the case enough to use it for underwater photography...

And now the iPhone 7 is water resistant enough that I feel just as safe with my phone now as I did with a $100 Lifeproof case on it.

I still wouldn't trust the case enough to use it for underwater photography.

I think the iPhone 7 was the death of any chance for me buying another Lifeproof case anytime again.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I understand the need for cases like these for those who work in construction and/or are hard on their phone's, so the case definitely serves it's purpose. I could never put something like that on my phone (I also do not use cases. Period).

rblue78

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Hooker Corner, Indiana
What's the point of this case now? The iPhone 7 and 7 plus are both waterproof. I've taken mine underwater. Get sand in the lightning port? Cool. Wash it out in the sink.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I took my phone in the pool after testing the lifeproof case as instructed. It leaked and the screen in my phone got damaged.

And lifeproof don't honour any damage warranty while using their gear because unless it happens in front of them they don't believe the phone was in their case at the time. So pointless really.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Perhaps so. But in terms of ultimate protection, $100.00 is small change compared to the price of a new iPhone for water damage.
Isn't is something like $349 without apple care in replacement fees? so roughly 1/3 of replacement cost for the case? I don't think its so justified especially if the case is bulky as heck and can fail itself leading you to have to pay for the damage anyway.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Isn't is something like $349 without apple care in replacement fees? so roughly 1/3 of replacement cost for the case? I don't think its so justified especially if the case is bulky as heck and can fail itself leading you to have to pay for the damage anyway.
Depends on the person handling the iPhone. The case serves as an insurance protection and Nothing more. If you were someone around water frequently, bulk would be the least of your concerns pending your environment and what you subject your iPhone to.

And the case being bulky is expected. It's rated drop proof at 6.6 feet and fully waterproof. Not bad for a bulky case and protecting your investment. Like I mentioned before, $100.00 for a case for someone who may Truly appreciate its features.

rjp1

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
They made Apple blush when they found out how expensive this case is.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Lifeproof makes nice cases. The main problem is they take too long to come out. If I get a new iPhone on launch day, which I have since the original. I either have to keep it naked until Lifeproof makes theirs. Which usually takes months or buy someone else's case to use until then. So on top of Lifeproofs high price, I have to pay for different case for those few months waiting for lifeproof.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Well as much as I complained about Apple taking the headphone jack away, I have to admit in one respect they've made my life easier by making me have to worry about getting debris and dirt into one less port. So I don't really need a case that's quite this protective. And certainly not for that price, yikes.

I do have a $18 Supcase that looks and functions much like an Otterbox to keep dirt out of the one remaining port and it can attach to a belt clip and it can take a bit more abuse than any of my other cases. I would only use it when working on my landscaping projects though. For general use it is bulky and obtrusive and messes with audio like you all say.

My favorite case so far is an Urban Armour Gear folio case. It's soft and easy to put on and take off, but protective and has a card slot for my drivers license. I can also squeeze a $20 bill or a credit card in there if I need to. The folio flap protects the screen nicely. That's the one I'll take out in the snow. I don't notice it messing with the sound.

At the beach I'm still going to use the zip-to-lock baggy style case I've always used for smartphones. They look geeky but work great for me and they're cheap. And they give me the option of hanging the phone from a neck strap. At the beach I'd be using my SE anyway because I don't want to lug my monster iPhone 7 plus around when I am building sand castles with the family.

When I want to go slim I use an Apple silicone case or no case at all inside of the house.

Reactions: Relentless Power

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Thanks but, Lifeproof, you've lost me as a customer. They are always late to the party with cases for new iterations of phone and they lie with the reviews. What do I mean by that? Before the case was available, they had published on their web site 4-5 star reviews of how great the cases were. Otter-box - thanks a lot for destroying what used to be a great brand.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

vertsix

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2015
I have a LifeProof case for my 6s because it's not a waterproof phone.

It makes sense.

You don't need to spend so much on a "waterproof" case for the iPhone 7 as its water resistant already.

If you intend on buying this case for protection, there are much cheaper (and frankly less ugly) options out there.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

KAZphoto

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I agree with other posters stating that the sound is terrible on it. I could never hear people on calls and people on the other end could never hear me. At least my iPhone 7 has water resistance now so no need to worry about it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Hello. I received my Lifeproof nuud for the iPhone 7 this morning. I like the redesign compared to the nuud iPhone 6S as I previously owned one. The construction of the iPhone 6S case seemed more durable and felt it can with stand a beating. Solid construction. Even the back panel, though part see through seemed solid as well. The smoke gray plastic seemed thicker and felt solid and did not seem to be prone to scratches as the iPhone 7 nuud case. I like the rounded corners and the phone case lays flat where before there was a slight bump/angel to it. I do not like how the case creaks and feels extremely cheap compare to the iPhone 6S nuud case especially when you grip the phone. The back panel scratches extremely easy and does not feel solid. I do like the products but it’s worth to me about $40.00 not the $99.00 a hefty price I paid for this unit. It seems like many products are cutting corners to become more profitable and I understand this but the price does’t have to stick and should reflect what is being offered. The sound as well is muffled too and I have had this problem with the previous generations of nuud cases with the exception of the 6S. All in all I am ok with the case but disappointed with the flaws of waiting so long for something that didn’t seem to have a 3rd or 4th party testing it out before selling it to the public.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Perhaps so. But in terms of ultimate protection, $100.00 is small change compared to the price of a new iPhone for water damage.
Agree with the above comment. Excellent!!
[doublepost=1497640684][/doublepost]
Depends on the person handling the iPhone. The case serves as an insurance protection and Nothing more. If you were someone around water frequently, bulk would be the least of your concerns pending your environment and what you subject your iPhone to.

And the case being bulky is expected. It's rated drop proof at 6.6 feet and fully waterproof. Not bad for a bulky case and protecting your investment. Like I mentioned before, $100.00 for a case for someone who may Truly appreciate its features.
Agree with the above comment. Excellent!!
[doublepost=1497640788][/doublepost]
Well as much as I complained about Apple taking the headphone jack away, I have to admit in one respect they've made my life easier by making me have to worry about getting debris and dirt into one less port. So I don't really need a case that's quite this protective. And certainly not for that price, yikes.

I do have a $18 Supcase that looks and functions much like an Otterbox to keep dirt out of the one remaining port and it can attach to a belt clip and it can take a bit more abuse than any of my other cases. I would only use it when working on my landscaping projects though. For general use it is bulky and obtrusive and messes with audio like you all say.

My favorite case so far is an Urban Armour Gear folio case. It's soft and easy to put on and take off, but protective and has a card slot for my drivers license. I can also squeeze a $20 bill or a credit card in there if I need to. The folio flap protects the screen nicely. That's the one I'll take out in the snow. I don't notice it messing with the sound.

At the beach I'm still going to use the zip-to-lock baggy style case I've always used for smartphones. They look geeky but work great for me and they're cheap. And they give me the option of hanging the phone from a neck strap. At the beach I'd be using my SE anyway because I don't want to lug my monster iPhone 7 plus around when I am building sand castles with the family.

When I want to go slim I use an Apple silicone case or no case at all inside of the house.
The iPhone 7 plus lifeproof nuud is still the best waterproof case. The premium price is worth it. However, not many can see this big picture.
[doublepost=1497641078][/doublepost]
Lifeproof makes nice cases. The main problem is they take too long to come out. If I get a new iPhone on launch day, which I have since the original. I either have to keep it naked until Lifeproof makes theirs. Which usually takes months or buy someone else's case to use until then. So on top of Lifeproofs high price, I have to pay for different case for those few months waiting for lifeproof.
Agree with the above comment. Excellent!! It is true. I experienced it myself. However, I think the reason why their cases usually come late in the game is the company tests their products rigorously and ensures their products meet their expectations including waterproof before release.
[doublepost=1497641157][/doublepost]

Another excellent comment!!

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Sounds an awful lot like @democracyrules has some financial interest in Lifeproof. Quality has gone downhill since Otterbox bought them out. Otterbox cases come out first. Hmm, wonder why that is? Otterbox was getting beat by lifeproof which is why they bought them.

With the newer phones being dust and waterproof, you don't need cases with those safety features any longer. You just need something to protect from physical damage. Which is nice, because companies like Otterbox and Lifeproof have been charging WAY too much for their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.