Lifeproof is a joke

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jkp14, Feb 26, 2015.

1. jkp14 macrumors newbie

Just so everyone is aware, Lifeproof is more then happy to send you out a new case for your iPhone 5S when it leaks water but are not at all willing to talk with you about getting your iPhone 5s replaced.
    I live in Australia and under Lifeproof's warranty it states that it will abide by the consumer laws for the country of sale or residence of the consumer.
    Lifeproof is a joke and i would not use them ever again.
    ps. It has been one month and roughly half a dozen emails sent (from my end) and yet nothing back from them.

Kind regards,
    jkp14

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Their documentation always says to test before use. Everything fails, but testing shows such failure before it ruins your phone.

Don't blame them for physics.

3. jkp14 thread starter macrumors newbie

i did test it, i had had the case for a number of months and had gone kayaking on flat and open water, Swimming at the beach and in a water hole.
    On this day, when it failed, i was in a water hole. by the time i noticed water in the case i pulled the phone out and turned it off.
    I was on holidays and so i left it in a bowl of rice for forty hours and after that it was still water logged and not turning on.

I have been to Apple and they have confirmed.

Lifeproof still will not respond to any communication.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

That sucks and assuming you test it when you get it and it's fine, they should append a warranty to it and the device inside it for a certain amount of time, 12 months or whatever.

If you test it today, you shouldn't have to retest it tomorrow or next week the next time you want to take it in the water. There should be a reasonable amount of dependency a consumer should be able to expect out of the product. If it leaks three months in (and possibly even only after a prolonged period of time in the water, something a quick test might not show) then LP should be responsible for the case and the device, IMO.

5. Viscerol macrumors newbie

Don't hold your breath. Lifeproof is not gonna buy you a new phone.

6. maliu macrumors 6502a

They don't because there's no way to prove whether the case actually failed or if it was user error, poor maintenance or purposefully damaged. It's called moral hazard.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I thought u could pay extra and they would cover your phone? On their website

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The problem is the water seal is literally a rubber banding that even improper storage (too hot, too cold, pressure on it, not closed during storage), can compromise. It's like the seal on a car door. It's one of the weakest points in the design. You have to test it every time.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I looked on their site (briefly) and didn't see anything about that. However, I did see this:

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Lifeproof is a joke

It's called the total water protection program

https://twpp.lifeproof.com/help