Lifeproof vs Defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TJ5921, Jun 30, 2012.

1. TJ5921, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

TJ5921 macrumors regular

Can't decide at all. Had a defender for my 4s but got sick of the bulkiness. I love how slim the life proof is and the fact that it's waterproof is cool, but the main thing that concerns me is the screen not being as touch sensitive as the defender. I also read there might be issues talking through it. I can get a life proof for $55 on amazon, if I do would it be weird to get a white one for my black iPhone? The defender I'm considering is $24, although the price matters I'm more concerned with form and function.

2. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Have a friend that had a lifeproof and he got rid of it for the two problems you me mentioned. Also he had a problem with it separating at one end. I also have heard bad stories about customer service with lifeproof. I have had great experience with Otterbox.

HiddenPuppy

3. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

I don't know yet, I just ordered a LifeProof case and i'm waiting for it. But, IMHO, you gotta see what you want! If waterproof matters to you, then you have no other choice but lifeproof, if it doesn't, get the cheaper one, otterbox is great anyways!

Although Otterbox offers better shock protection, I rather choose the slim design from LifeProof and still get waterproof.

4. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Lifeproof.

Flabby silicone on the Defender (and the rest of the OB lineup) is a loss. They really could use something better. It hardly fits the phone snugly, so you gotta worry about dust, lint, dirt, moisture, etc. Not to mention the port covers tend to tear off over time. And honestly, unless you intend on being in a situation where your phone might drop more than two stories, why would you need that much shock absorption? A Speck Candyshell or one of the hybrid Switcheasy cases are not only thinner but offer just as good shock absorption for your normal fall (I'm thinking from a bar or desk top). For real protection from the elements, there are better designs than the Defender, such as the Lifeproof.

5. iGeek 10.0 macrumors newbie

I haven't had any experience with Otterbox iPhone cases, but I would recommend Lifeproof. It's true that there is a little bit of an air layer betwee nthe actual screen and the outer protective layer at the bottom of the screen, but it just takes a few days to get used to. I don't know if that's done intentionally (like that the air is supposed to protect your screen somehow and has been incorporated in the overall design of the case), but it isn't really all that bothersome.

I haven't had any problems with any parts of the case not sticking together. Everything worked fine for me for the first installation, and they have great videos for tutorials that explain how to install the case, perform maintenance, remove the case, test your case for waterproofing, and so on. They also have a large collection of accessories that are compatible with the case as well that are very useful for their specific needs.

The only other issue for me that I had with this case was that the audio jack is only usable with the Apple Headphones that come with the phone itself. The hole built into the case is too small for any other pair of headphones that I have used. It does come with an adapter, but it's cumbersome to take with you, the remotes built into headphones won't work with it, and they are fairly easy to break (mine quit a couple of weeks ago for an unknown reason).

Otherwise, great case, definitely recommendable.

6. iRyu macrumors regular

7. TJ5921 thread starter macrumors regular

This looks really cool but when does it release? I'm getting my replacement 4s tomorrow and need to buy a case asap. I was gona wait for the OB Armor case or the new lifeproof colors but who knows when they'll release those.

8. maliu macrumors 6502a

Using LP cases for almost a year. Incredibly freeing. I don't worry about my phone anymore. I drop it and laugh, take it into hot tubs and amaze people by videoing them under water, never have to take it off to clean and I can barely tell there's a protector over the screen.

9. oneapplegeek macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

If you have tried defender, why don't u try lifeproof one this time??