Lifespan of a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by floydsolo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. floydsolo macrumors newbie

Always had iMacs & the last one I've had for just over 5 years has never missed a beat & is still going strong.

I'm very interested in the new Macbook Pro retina as the potability is very appealing, but also will be using as a desktop setup connected to external monitor for photo studio work. My main reservation is the cost & the lifespan of a laptop compared to a desktop. I'm aware of the fact that it will be dependent on the amount of use, but how many years should I expect out of one of these machines?

I can justify 4-5 years based on the cost.

cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My primary Mac is an almost 5 year old MBP that still looks and runs like new. It all depends on how you care for it.

3. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

It also depends on the tasks you'll use on it. I use my Mac for general stuff, but the laptop for work. I transitioned the iMac into a new role

4. floydsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

I will still be using my 24" iMac at home as my main desktop, photo editing mainly. The Macbook would be tethered in the studio to display images taken & also basic lightroom edits in studio. I will also be using as a portable solution if on location also but used in the same fashion as in studio.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Two aspects to life span. First is hardware....everything works...even if it is slow. Perhaps a more important thing is OS and apps. At what point will your hardware no longer run the OS and apps you want/need.

6. entropi macrumors 6502

my main mac - a MBP 17" - will be 4 years old in march this coming spring. the PowerBook 17" it replaced still works fine (bought in november 2005)...
    <3 :apple:

7. floydsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's encouraging to know. Anything over 4 years would be justifiable to purchase at the current prices. I would be purchasing the 3 year apple care also but would prob not be worth trying to fix after this point if something like the motherboard packed up.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have an 09 17", and 03 12" PowerBook until the 17 took a little spill a couple weeks back both look new and perform as new.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Still have old 2007 MBP and it runs very strong. :apple:

10. bobcan, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I bought a 1st gen MBP in Apr-06, and used it until late 2008 when I upgraded.. That original worked just fine and looked great still, so I sold it to a friend.. He used it for 2yrs+ before someone stole it.. :(

My 2008 got upgraded 3 yrs later (I had THE flawed Nvidia 8600M issue with this one, TWICE, and it was Replaced the 2nd time right before I sold it ~ and it still works fine for another friend's Mother) and I will likely keep this latest mid-2011 MBP for about 3 years too!! :apple:

11. mckey macrumors member

Still using my late 2008 MBP 15-inch still running great. :)