Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floydsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Always had iMacs & the last one I've had for just over 5 years has never missed a beat & is still going strong.

I'm very interested in the new Macbook Pro retina as the potability is very appealing, but also will be using as a desktop setup connected to external monitor for photo studio work. My main reservation is the cost & the lifespan of a laptop compared to a desktop. I'm aware of the fact that it will be dependent on the amount of use, but how many years should I expect out of one of these machines?

I can justify 4-5 years based on the cost.

cheers

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Always had iMacs & the last one I've had for just over 5 years has never missed a beat & is still going strong.

I'm very interested in the new Macbook Pro retina as the potability is very appealing, but also will be using as a desktop setup connected to external monitor for photo studio work. My main reservation is the cost & the lifespan of a laptop compared to a desktop. I'm aware of the fact that it will be dependent on the amount of use, but how many years should I expect out of one of these machines?

I can justify 4-5 years based on the cost.

cheers
My primary Mac is an almost 5 year old MBP that still looks and runs like new. It all depends on how you care for it.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
It also depends on the tasks you'll use on it. I use my Mac for general stuff, but the laptop for work. I transitioned the iMac into a new role

floydsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
It also depends on the tasks you'll use on it. I use my Mac for general stuff, but the laptop for work. I transitioned the iMac into a new role

I will still be using my 24" iMac at home as my main desktop, photo editing mainly. The Macbook would be tethered in the studio to display images taken & also basic lightroom edits in studio. I will also be using as a portable solution if on location also but used in the same fashion as in studio.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Two aspects to life span. First is hardware....everything works...even if it is slow. Perhaps a more important thing is OS and apps. At what point will your hardware no longer run the OS and apps you want/need.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
my main mac - a MBP 17" - will be 4 years old in march this coming spring. the PowerBook 17" it replaced still works fine (bought in november 2005)...
<3 :apple:

floydsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
my main mac - a MBP 17" - will be 4 years old in march this coming spring. the PowerBook 17" it replaced still works fine (bought in november 2005)...
<3 :apple:

That's encouraging to know. Anything over 4 years would be justifiable to purchase at the current prices. I would be purchasing the 3 year apple care also but would prob not be worth trying to fix after this point if something like the motherboard packed up.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I have an 09 17", and 03 12" PowerBook until the 17 took a little spill a couple weeks back both look new and perform as new.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
I bought a 1st gen MBP in Apr-06, and used it until late 2008 when I upgraded.. That original worked just fine and looked great still, so I sold it to a friend.. He used it for 2yrs+ before someone stole it.. :(

My 2008 got upgraded 3 yrs later (I had THE flawed Nvidia 8600M issue with this one, TWICE, and it was Replaced the 2nd time right before I sold it ~ and it still works fine for another friend's Mother) and I will likely keep this latest mid-2011 MBP for about 3 years too!! :apple:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.