Lifespan of a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jvhowube, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Jvhowube macrumors member

Hey guys,

I've had my MBP C2D for 9 months now, and I'm just curious how long this computer should last me. It's been great so far - no problems at all - unless you are perfectionist and complain about squeaky spacebar, not-perfect case alignment, etc. Considering all the parts remain functional until their expected death dates, what is the average lifespan?

Thanks.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

well, if the past is any indication of the future, my 500 MHz TiBook is still running like new (and that's without sleep and with restarts only after software updates). My 500 MHz iBook, same story. Even my PowerBook 3400c is still running like a champ. Same story for my PB 1.67, though it is only 20 months old.

Hope this helps.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The lifespan of any laptop is directly proportional to the number of times you've dropped it. ;)

4. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

i agree with bsl4. ur MBP should outlast itself. what i mean by that is that you will have to replace it in a few years due to the fact that new hardware will come out that you cant upgade, not due to the fact that it just dies and wont turn on anymore.

5. Sdao macrumors 6502

I just bought a brand new MBP 2.4 SR, 2 gigs (going to up it to 4 soon) and 160 gig hard drive. I was wondering the same thing, I take very good care of this machine, but how long should it last?

I've gone through 2 Windowze laptops in the last 3 years. Not because of carelessness, but because they were lemons.

6. rev316 macrumors regular

I'll let you know as soon as my Powerbook G3 dies....

7. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

That pretty much is the long and short of it. Make sure you have clean power going to it also (any electronic device really). We have about 20 MBP and iBooks at work at any given time. It always seems to be the same people that need repairs. And they all happen to work in the same department. They are journalism professors and therefor travel a bit more than their coworkers. We've started buying iBooks for that group because they are quite a bit more durable. Treat your equipment right and it should last for a good long while.

8. bobpensik macrumors regular

I have had some issues with my 4 year old 12" Rev.A PB, but it was only a problem with the Hard Drive every single time, and replacing the HD is a PITA, so i have ordered a new MacBook where the components are much easier to replace. I expect it will last me for quite some time.

I have a feeling that the computer will outlast its components (i.e HD) and it depends what you need the computer to do. If it is just surfing the web and word then it can go for a long time. If you are editing music or video, then it will feel slower MUCH faster!!

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Actually, it's inversely proportional;)

Anyhow, I think that you can keep your computer running for some time, and that it will not meet its end through obsolescence, but rather through the gradual degradation of its parts.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Totally. The past few days I've been using my cousin's old 800mhz iBook G3 and for basic computing it was just fine.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Your PB G3 was made in the good ole USA.

Very much unlike the new MacBook Pros where the chinese probably scrimp on every bit of solder they use to cut costs.

12. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

true, it seems like quality control is becoming more of an issue lately.

too bad

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I know greenpeace will take my hide for this, but could it be due to the fact that they are using these new leadless solder nowadays?

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, with AppleCare (and no accidental damage) any Apple computer will last 3 years one way or another. My guess is that, given the high-spec nature of the MacBook Pro, it'll still be a competent machine for a couple of years after that providing there are no major hardware or software shifts rendering it obsolete.

Laptops appear to be moving fast in technology terms, but when you look at the high-end 5 years ago and the low-end today you start to realise that things aren't moving that fast.

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Things are moving fast, true.

But there are also numerous studies and surveys that show that most people are not looking to buy a new computer anytime in the foreseeable future.

Just because things are getting faster does not mean we need to buy them, or that our current usage patterns will shift as a result to obsolete good equipment.

16. finchna macrumors regular

we have several powerbooks (ti, al, intel) and they all run fine. of course, the intel are much faster than the ti and al, and that might be how you outgrow your mbp--not wearing out but simply it gets too slow (or too low screen resolution or doesn't have the features) compared with what's 4 year away.

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I said things appear to be moving fast...

I don't think laptop technology is moving fast enough to warrant concern over a new MBP becoming obsolete any time soon.

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Going from single core to dual core was the biggest move in recent times I would say but as long as the machine doesn't die prematurely I can see me owning my present MacBook Pro for a long long time.

19. APPLE.MBP1342 macrumors newbie

Yeah me To But I Would Keep my MBP 'til the day it died Apple Seems like The put a life extension on there :apple:Computers
    and a whole other line of technology like
    a :apple:ipod Very first edition , :apple: ipod's, :apple: iPad's/Tablet computers E.g Apple Newton
    :apple: is a great Brand!

20. eron macrumors 6502

My friend is a programmer and plays game quite a bit. He's planning to keep his late 2008 15" MBP for another 2-3 years.

Catch is, he has a 256GB OWC SSD, optibay HDD, and 8GB ram.
    With these upgrades, he says will be happy with it for another few years.

21. hypertc13 macrumors regular

I have a late 2006 model that a bought in February of 2007. The thing still runs amazing. I have only had one problem with it the 4 and a half years i have had it. However the new quad core processors are making it pretty tempting for me to upgrade to a new one.

22. intwo macrumors newbie

23. silverf1re macrumors regular

i love how we bring up a converstation that ended 4 years ago. lol not disrespecting anyone but imagine doing that in a real life conversation. :p

24. MJNBGA macrumors regular

So, to all the people who posted in 2007: are you still typing on the same computer? :)

25. trims macrumors regular

Still using the RiscPC (purchased 1996) for my domestic correspondence - is this a record?

The combination of the fast Risc processor (whose descendent powers the iPhone and iPad) with a brilliant document writer (Impression Publisher) has yet to be surpassed for flexibility and responsiveness IMHO.