Lifespan of your MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RestUnknown, Jun 9, 2012.

?

How long did your MBP last?

1. 2 years

9 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 3 years

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 4 years

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. 5 years

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. 5 years and more

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. RestUnknown, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

RestUnknown macrumors regular

Hi all

With WWDC around the corner and the probable upgrades, I'm thinking about buying an iMac.
    I also have a 15" pre-unibody Macbook Pro, about 4,5 years old (actually 3 because of the 8600m gt issue). I can spare the money for a new iMac or a new MBP, but as I'm still a student, not both. So if I buy the iMac and my MBP (which I do need for school, music...) breaks down shortly after that, I would be in trouble.

So I'm looking for the lifespan of your MBP's. So I can get an average of what these boys can do. Of course it's different for everyone because not everyone uses them as much as the other, but still it would give me an image. I've enabled the multiple answers as some of you probably had more than one.

Edit: keep in mind that with lifespan I mean till it breaks down. Was a bit unclear, sorry.

Thanks!

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I have a 2010 mbp. I expect the hdd to die soon and other than that it's running fine. I expect to keep it until it dies, hopefully another 3 years.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well, mine is in pieces, but I have a 2006 MBP that's still alive and kicking. Take good care of your machine, don't feed it or give it water, and wash your hands frequently and they'll last you a very long time.

4. PresidentScroob macrumors newbie

PresidentScroob

6 years

I've had my MacBook Pro CoreDuo since 2006 when the model first came out. These are very high quality machines. No problems except upgrading the original 100gb hard drive to a 320gb three years ago and 512mb of ram to 2 gigs.

5. dylanlewis2000 macrumors member

I did have a 2009 MBP which the wireless died on it. The company could not repair it so the insurance eventually paid out, that was around Christmas time, so it lasted around 2 years. It was used every day but I did take care of it.

On the other hand I have a PPC Mac mini that is from 2005/2006 and that still works, mind you I have upgraded the RAM and the HDD, but it still works it’s just a little slow.

I think a modern day laptop should last you around 5 or so years, but you have to take a few things in to account. How often is it used? how much have you used the battery or how much life does it still have?, has the laptop been sitting on a desk for most of its life or has it been around bashed around in a laptop bag.

6. Laco macrumors 6502

my Macbook is over 5 years old now and it still works great. I spilled soda on the keyboard, dropped it on concrete from several feet, used it in temperatures below -20C and above 45C and used in altitudes over 12 000 feet. It has never been repaired, except for one hard drive failure.

I actually wish it broke because it still work so well I am having trouble justifying a new one even though I can definitely afford it.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

We have a 2008 that's still alive and well. I passed it on to hubby when I got my 2011. I fully expect it to last another few years at least. It's had the battery replaced and hubby is looking into getting a SSD, but other than that, no problems at all with it.

8. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

I only just got my mbp early last year. Not looking to get a new one any time soon. With Mountain Lion still to come, 16GB of ram to expand to and an SSD upgrade. I think it can last at least 3-4 years until I finish university :cool:

9. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Even after being dropped one month after I bought it, my old 17" MacBook pro is still going strong
    Amazing piece of kit

10. Androidpwns macrumors regular

11. TX65 macrumors newbie

My current 17 MBP was bought in March 2008. It's has been dropped a few times and combined with 4 years of being lugged to work everyday and countless trips through the TSA x-ray machine, it still works.

If I treat it gently and invest in a couple new batteries, could probably last another couple of years.

However, depending on what is released at WWDC 2012, it could see retirement soon.

12. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

13. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses!

It seems my choice is made. Currently it still works perfect, barely leaves my desk, hit the ground twice but was in a case and in my backpack so no direct hit. iMac it is!

One more question though. With the 8600m issue, it just happened when I wanted to get it out of standby, but can you see other major failures months in advance?

14. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Look after it and it will last for a long time.
    My MBP is 2 years old, my netbook is 4 years old, my Dell laptop is 6 years old and my Compaq laptop is from 2003.

All still in perfect working order. Just look after it.

15. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I find that after around 3 years, the old machine is too slow to do what I need it to do. My current machine is holding true to that pattern. I imagine whoever buys my used machine will continue to use it for several more years, but it's time for me to replace it.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Is lifespan "useful life" (highly subjective) or "until it breaks and is unusable"?

17. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

I'd like to think it meant until the machine breaks.

18. jbzcar macrumors regular

Mine is a late 2008 that I am at least the second owner of, and it is running very strong. :)

19. imMango macrumors member

Late 2008 unibody MacBook here, so almost 4 years now. It's overheating like a bitch (sits on ~70dC with fans default to 3500rpm), display port connector is nonfunctional and the battery is swollen (probably because of the overheating), and of course Ive treated it like a baby for all this time. I'd say it's on the downhill :/

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My cousin still uses my old Powerbook G4 from 2003. Running like a charm at 9 years old :D

21. frank.deale macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro is 5,1 from 2009 or 2010 (can't remember) but it is still going strong. I still use my PowerBook G4 Titanium from circa 2001.

22. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

My early 2009 MBP is still working perfectly and just as fast as the day I bought it. I also still have a 2005 iMac that works great.

23. oskin macrumors newbie

Never. I never retire my laptop until it breaks. I buy new ones but keep old ones as test machines.

24. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

I meant till it breaks down, I edited my starting post. Sorry about that!

Recently I installed iStaPro and found out my CPU runs idle at 70° and the GPU at 80°. A bit too hot for my likings and will more rapid decrease the lifespan. But it's hooked to an external monitor running at 1920 x 1080 so it's probably due to that. With a new iMac it can rest!

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can't say… I upgrade every year.

Well my current one is over a year and half old now, and it's working fine.