Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Thinking about joining a gym. My apartment has a small free one but I want the features of a full gym.

At least around here, Lifetime and LA Fitness are the two biggest ones. There are a lot of smaller ones around (Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness, etc.) but these ones are all small enough you may not be able to get on equipment when you want and I don't think they have showers/lockers, which is a deal breaker. I want a full feature gym.

So I'm looking at these two gyms, and my gut feeling is Lifetime is the better/nice gym, but I also think Lifetime is probably by far the most expensive. Why do I say this? They absolutely will not post prices on their site, which probably says it all.

LA on the other hand, right on the homepage it's a $99 initiation fee and then $30 a month with no contract. $60 for me and my wife, which is enticing. I'm not interested in paying $80+ each per month. I also pretty much refuse to sign a contract for a gym, they aren't AT&T.

So does anyone here have experience with either of these gyms, what do you like/not like about it and which gym would you recommend?

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Lifetime and LA Fitness are virtually the same price.

LA Fitness is better, but the again, that's just my locations. It is different at every location. The price, however, is the same at every location.

HTTR10

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
LA fitness, more options depending on location of course. But definitely like the staff working there.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
At least around here, the price between the two isn't a significant difference, but Lifetime is insanely nicer.

But I'm just a big cheapo who pays $17/month at Fitness19 because that fits my needs and budget.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
LifeTime because my wife and I are members and the facility is walking distance from our house. My wife practically lives at our LifeTime spending literally 2.5 - 4 hours a day there five times a week. Our LifeTime has an excellent array of classes with very good instructors and a huge floor for machines and free weights and tons of ellipticals, treds, rowing, and stairs. All in excellent condition. They just swapped out about 50 spin bikes. Racquetball & BB courts, pool, sauna, child care all for $110 a month for the two of us. Clean (and most members aren't douches). Great value.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Thinking about joining a gym. My apartment has a small free one but I want the features of a full gym.

At least around here, Lifetime and LA Fitness are the two biggest ones. There are a lot of smaller ones around (Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness, etc.) but these ones are all small enough you may not be able to get on equipment when you want and I don't think they have showers/lockers, which is a deal breaker. I want a full feature gym.

So I'm looking at these two gyms, and my gut feeling is Lifetime is the better/nice gym, but I also think Lifetime is probably by far the most expensive. Why do I say this? They absolutely will not post prices on their site, which probably says it all.

LA on the other hand, right on the homepage it's a $99 initiation fee and then $30 a month with no contract. $60 for me and my wife, which is enticing. I'm not interested in paying $80+ each per month. I also pretty much refuse to sign a contract for a gym, they aren't AT&T.

So does anyone here have experience with either of these gyms, what do you like/not like about it and which gym would you recommend?

if you have health insurance, check to see if they have programs available . depending on the program ,you may be able to go to both and a host of other clubs and pay less. I go mostly to Gold's when I'm in home .on the road it varies

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My family joined Lifetime Fitness in our area about 5 months ago and so far we are really enjoying it. It is a very expensive gym, for my wife and I plus two children under the age of 10 we pay about $140 a month. There are no contracts so we can quit at any time and our membership includes access to the childcare center. I play in the racquetball league there and use the fitness equipment for exercise while my wife attends some of the classes offered and works out in the fitness center as well.

The main reason we are willing to pay more than other places would charge is because of the amenities for our kids. They have both indoor and outdoor pools (with water slides), a climbing wall, martial arts classes, sports leagues, etc. etc..

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For me, I'd go with Lifetime. There is one less than 5 minutes from my house. I have many friends who have joined it and like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.