Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you a lifetime macuser

• Yes, lifetime

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • No, but been using mac for last 5 years

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • New to mac

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Hm, mines not up there! Used Apples then Macs at first, for about, oh, 6 or 7 years. Then got a PC with DOS6 and Win3.1 (blech). Used PCs for about 10 years, then went back to Apple about 3 years ago. So, all in all I'm about 50/50 split for time on each platform.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Nope. My first computer had Windows 3.1 and a turbo button. Faster faster!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yes, you're forgetting those of us who have been computer users since before the Mac.

I used Apple IIs in grade school, dad bought an early PC clone (back when anything not made by IBM was called a 'clone',) while I was in middle school, and moved to the Mac in high school. (They had a lab full of brand-spankin-new, just-realeased Macintosh SEs. With hard drives!) In high school, I was a dual Mac/PC user. After high school, I couldn't afford to buy a Mac (only upgrading PC piecemeal,) then in college I got a used Mac notebook. After college, I became a Mac collector, but PC 'main computer' user. In '02, I made my beige G3 my primary computer (in place of a perfectly good, much faster PC,) and then got my first new Mac in mid '03. Haven't looked back since.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm taking the categories in that poll liberally, so I checked lifetime. As in "I've been using a Mac constantly since an early time they were available to me or they were available, period".

Technically, my first computer was a TI99/4A, but that was before the Mac even existed. My second was an Apple //c, which WAS after the Mac was released, but they still cost something like $8000, so were not in the price range of a "personal" computer. However, once the price had come down with the very first LC, my family bought one and I've used nothing at home but Macs since.

Fedge

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
When I was a little kid, I played with KID-PIX on our old Mac SE. Then we got an LC with the color monitor. KID-PIX, number munchers, and the Ski game were my weapons of choice. Then I moved on to a Quadra 650. After that, I did a little stint on a PC but soon got myself a Powerbook G4. My Mac Pro should be shipping on the 12th . . .

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Been a Mac user for the last 6 years. But if you asked me if I would switch to a Mac pre-1997, I would have to say "no way", during Apple's dark days. The Mac Pro (intel chips) represents the best machine Apple has ever made so far, and I can see myself being a lifetime Mac user, but a lifetime is a long time. :)

Now if Apple merges with Sun, that would just be so awesome.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Killyp said:
I've been using Macs since I got an iMac G3 about 7-8 months ago. I did also have a Dell dual P4, but I found myself using my Mac much more often, even though it was a tiny fraction the power...

Then a few months later I got a MacBook Pro, and now my PC has moved out of my room alltogether. I'm wanting to sell my PC as I'm using it in a studio. I know a Mac would be much better for that job...

If only you lived in the US you'd have a buyer right here for that Dual P4 box. :eek: :(

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
Well I would have started with Mac (My High School had a Lisa. No one was allowed to touch it.) but they were so blanking expensive. So I started with a Timex-Sinclair ZX-81 and upgraded it to 64K of ram. Then came the TI 99 4A, Commodore 128, then (to my everlasting shame) a PC XT. But since 1989, and the Mac SE, its been all Mac.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
First computer was a mac, then a total of 4 windows computers....

First mac: very early 90s....pre 1994. dont really remember what it even looked like! Probably a performa 68k, possibly the early all in one version.

Then to PC...ugh.
First, and most reliable out of all of them was my Compaq Presario desktop, late 1996. Intel Pentium (no numbers) at 166-200MHz. Windows 95.

My first laptop came in 1999, and holds a place in my heart my MBP can never quite fill the same way- you never forget your first. Compaq Presario 15" notebook, black with blue lid, 6GB HD, Pentium III 700MHz, I think it had 128 or 256 RAM. DVD player too about a year before the PS2 brought DVDs into more households :)
The thing it had, besides the best latching mech of any laptop i had or saw until the MBP and the best styling too, was a killer advantage i've never seen equaled on *any* laptop i've used since.

That was its speakers. I wish the MBP had them- it would be 150% PERFECT then. They were JBL Pro speakers, huge....covering a lot of the palm rest, but the killer was on the front were two small subwoofers. if you were playing a DVD cover one up and you'd see just how much they really did. Wow. I have never had that quality of sound again in a portable device.

That one lasted me from late 1999 to i'd say late 2002.

During the time period from 1996 when I got my first PC, to 2001, I was still able to use mac at school- first on the edu versions of the Performa 5200 series, later on the first iMacs- blueberry, then indigo. teacher had a PM G3 with studio display, then PM G4 Sawtooth or Gb Ethernet, and finally a G4 cube, with an array of studio displays. They were gorgeous and I never forgot them.

When that died, I got a much worse Toshiba with a 2.4GHz P4. Yuck. Hated it. Windows XP up from 98. Disaster. That died twice and became so unusable that after a year and a half I dumped it and got an HP with a 3.2GHz P4 and 15" widescreen. that one lasted me from 9/04 to 4/06. It was a monster- about 10 pounds, sans power adapter. Most of that poor computer's life was spent with store.apple.com on the links bar, visited regularly. As soon as the MBP was announced its life was essentially over.

And since April I have had my soul saved once again. I don't regret it for an instant, nearly 5 months in and i'm running OS X more productively than I ever ran windows.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
ReanimationLP said:
If only you lived in the US you'd have a buyer right here for that Dual P4 box. :eek: :(

How could you buy something that never existed? You could get dual Pentium 3s or dual Xeons (Foster/Prestonia/Nocona/Irwindale/etc). P4s were never able to run in SMP.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Glen Quagmire said:
How could you buy something that never existed? You could get dual Pentium 3s or dual Xeons (Foster/Prestonia/Nocona/Irwindale/etc). P4s were never able to run in SMP.

He could mean a system using the 'Pentium D' processor, which is two Pentium 4s in one package. I've called those 'dual P4s' before.

twentyone

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006
I bookended my life. My first computer was a Mac Plus at the ripe old age of 2 years old (I promptly taught my mother how to use it at the age of 3). We've had a Mac in the household all my life, but my main computer through high school and college up until I got a well enough paying job to get my own laptop was a PC. Then for my senior year I bought myself a MacBook, and upon graduation I'll probably splurge on a 20" iMac. Though I'm not exclusively Mac (I also possess a 12" Dell Latitude and two custom build desktops), my main computer that I use 4+ hours a day is Mac.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Commadore64 -> Mac SE.

All mac from then on.

Surprising how spread the poll is. I expected more old school maccers.

F

freakonguitar

well, i considered it for a few years, and used them in elementary school, but in november 2005 i bit the bullet and went for a 12" ibook. I looked back for about 2 weeks every so often as mac os was unfamiliar, and i knew xp home like the back of my hand and knew every file format meaning, and how to do everything. Mac os scared me for the first week :p cause i was out of my comfort zone! now i would NEVER go back to strictly running windows, if only games from windows would work without running windows! :D but once i get my macpro which should ship tomorrow, i will dual boot into windows xp for games, and the one or two odd programs i cannot run in mac os x :p.

F

freakonguitar

Silentwave said:
My first laptop came in 1999, and holds a place in my heart my MBP can never quite fill the same way- you never forget your first. Compaq Presario 15" notebook, black with blue lid.......

:eek: yeah...i can say i will NEVER forget my first laptop! it was a living NIGHTMARE!!!!:( The piece of crap that i reinstalled windows 98 on about 15 times in 6 months!!! it would crash or when i had to reinstall it would have driver issues, with my stupid pcmcia ethernet card. as much as ibms have a good rep in the pc world now, i could NEVER get a thinkpad if i went for windows laptop, i just detest them, my first was the worst and id never turn back to it!! (celeron 500, 96mb of ram, 6gb hdd, cdrom 12." xga, i series) *shudder*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.