LIFX Bulbs Finally Gain Support for HomeKit

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular smart light bulb manufacturer LIFX has been promising to add HomeKit support to its bulbs for quite some time now, and with an app update released this morning, some LIFX bulbs are now HomeKit compatible.

The 3.8.1 LIFX app update adds HomeKit support for LIFX, LIFX GU10, LIFX Downlight, and LIFX+ bulbs. It's only the third-generation bulbs that work with HomeKit -- original bulbs and LIFX White 800/Color 1000 won't work, nor will the company's LED strips.

[​IMG]

A firmware update is required to enable support, with the app able to provide a HomeKit code for lights that did not ship with one. From there, the bulbs can be added to a HomeKit setup like any other product.

LIFX bulbs are similar to the Philips Hue line of bulbs, offering a range of color and white selections that can be controlled with a smartphone. LIFX bulbs do not require a hub and are controlled over Wi-Fi.

Pricing on LIFX bulbs starts at $59.99, but multiple bulbs can be purchased for a discount. LIFX bulbs can be bought from the LIFX website.

Article Link: LIFX Bulbs Finally Gain Support for HomeKit

2. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

sounds more expensive than whats already out for home kit bulbs so meh.. i'll still go for a sylvania or koogeek

3. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

You can get cheap LED’s for a few $$& at Home Depot it Lowe’s

5. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

The largest discount is for 6 bulbs for $295. That only puts it on par with Hue when they aren't on sale.

I'll stick with Hue.

6. twistedpixel8 macrumors 6502

twistedpixel8

So being an early adopter, I’m out of luck - despite the fact that there are no hardware limitations. Congratulations LIFX, you’ve done an Apple.

7. MK7NJ macrumors newbie

MK7NJ

I have 5 lifx bulbs, I’d never buy another one again. They work so inconsistent . If I turn on my living room lights where there is 4 bulbs more then half the time one bulb never turns on. Always problems even after I’ve reset them and tried again. Total waste of money.

8. mrow macrumors 6502

Problem seems to be related to your router/wifi. Never had a problem with my AirPort Extreme, which I used them with for about a month. Switched to an Asus and had the same problem like you did all the time. I switched out the Asus for a Ubiquiti wireless access point and have been using them for about a year without a single issue.

9. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

White 800 and color 1000 not supported. What a joke...

10. twistedpixel8 macrumors 6502

twistedpixel8

Just got this from their twitter support: “We're currently talking to Apple about software auth and what it means for prior generations.”

There may be hope for older devices.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Good God…why??

12. Notts macrumors newbie

Notts

Hopeful about the original generation lights being an original kickstarter backer .

The new models work a treat with HomeKit, setup was a bit of a pain in the backside but once complete they work perfectly as usual although the HomeKit capacities aren’t as comprehensive as the LIFX app.

You get what you pay for with these LED / Wifi lights so while the price is very premium they’re worth it. I’ve had no problems with the the bulbs functioning via wifi on a quality router however the Z strips were a bit flakely to begin with but they seemed to have settled now. Overall, I can highly recommend them.

13. ErikGrim, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

Sorry. The latest is

--- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Have emailed support to hear if they are planning to offer Kickstarter backers with any discounts to replace bulbs with 3rd gen.

EDIT: Hyper-fast response:

14. cdrum macrumors newbie

cdrum

Ahem. I have 12 original bulbs. too expensive to upgrade. Guess i have to settle to be "low tech". THat's the danger of this stuff I suppose. Constantly getting obsolete.

15. ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

True. But how many times would you have changed those if they had been incandescent tho? ;)