Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
Anybody know of a pretty decent on camera light that I could purchase for shooting weddings? I have a wedding coming up that's taking place in the evening and I'd like to have a light attachment. I have no clue what's good/bad. Can anybody help? I don't want to break the bank on this either. My price range in at max 75 bucks.

Bones

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have no clue what's good/bad. Can anybody help? I don't want to break the bank on this either. My price range in at max 75 bucks.

Here's the clue: On-camera is a really bad location for lights on either a still or a video camera unless it is at a very low level and used just as a fill light. $75??? What are you charging the couple? You should at least be able to cover your equipment costs with the fee. There are many books on lighting.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
I'm no light expert by any means but I can give you what I know from the year of experience of filming weddings I have (not a lot, I know).

Decide what you're lighting and maybe get different lights for every situation. If you need to light a room or dance floor, you might need a strong 50w or 100w light. This'll go beyond your budget, it'll be $150+ probably. If you need to light closer subjects, you might do with a 10w light.

I bought a 150w light on Amazon.com for $40. I got what I paid for. Within minutes of turning it on, I could smell something burning and smoke was coming out of the light.

Right now I use a Canon VL-10 10w light on both my cameras I use for filming weddings. They cost around $80; check out Amazon. 10w may not seem like much but the punch this light puts out really impressed me, and I'm very happy with it. The best thing about it is that it uses the same batteries as my Canon camcorders :D

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
I'm no light expert by any means but I can give you what I know from the year of experience of filming weddings I have (not a lot, I know).

Decide what you're lighting and maybe get different lights for every situation. If you need to light a room or dance floor, you might need a strong 50w or 100w light. This'll go beyond your budget, it'll be $150+ probably. If you need to light closer subjects, you might do with a 10w light.

I bought a 150w light on Amazon.com for $40. I got what I paid for. Within minutes of turning it on, I could smell something burning and smoke was coming out of the light.

Right now I use a Canon VL-10 10w light on both my cameras I use for filming weddings. They cost around $80; check out Amazon. 10w may not seem like much but the punch this light puts out really impressed me, and I'm very happy with it. The best thing about it is that it uses the same batteries as my Canon camcorders :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.