Light Audio / Light Video / Drawing and general purpose internet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ozzymandos, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Ozzymandos macrumors newbie

Along similar lines as the other audio/video post in this forum, I am in the market for a Macbook today, and for many of the same reasons as the OP. I have as ton of songwriting / performing experience, but no real digital audio recording experience. I was hoping to use "Garage Band" for a while, then move up to something else once I understood the basics. Other then the music thing, I would use it to do some light video / picture editing, drawing via a Wacom pad, technical and creative writing, homework, general purpose internet (forums, banking, etc) and occassionally play a little WoW (the only game I own outside of PS3 games).

I get that I would be better off graphically with a new Macbook, but I am cost conscious (I have a wife and two kids!). Can I do all of this on the Blackbook, which looks like the deal-o-the-day, or should I move up to the new 1399 Macbook (which is beautiful, IMO) and look for a USB audio interface for guitar / vocals?

This will be my first Mac.

Thanks in advance!

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

What is your definition of light video editing?

3. Ozzymandos thread starter macrumors newbie

The camera I currently use is a Samsung -- about 2 years old, and it uses memory cards, so I get about 20 minutes in high quality (which is pretty average IMO). I'd like to upgrade to a slightly better consumer grade camera in April of 2009, but I will probably never use it for anything more then recording the kids adventures on camping trips, and so on. I have literally been using the windows movie maker so far.