light "banding" issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbypotluck, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

I think banding is the wrong word, but a buddy of mine got his macbook pro 15" back in May and every once in a while, from the bottom of the screen, are these columns of "light". It's almost like a glow from the bottom of the screen, like a cheap backlit display, where some areas are brighter than others. It's very noticeable, not a little thing. But it only occurs at the bottom of the screen. Is this a part of the graphics card problem or somethings else? sorry i dont have a picture.

2. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I think from what you described it sounds like backlight bleed.
    is it like this?
    [​IMG]

3. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

yes! exactly! is this fixable or covered under warranty? what's to blame for it?

4. Dreamail macrumors 6502

It's called 'LED backlight'.
    And it's a feature.

A LED backlight typically consists of a line of white LEDs mounted at the edge of the screen illuminating the display from the side. Since it's not a continuous light strip but rather little point lights spaced a bit apart you will notice lighter 'lines' where the LEDs are placed.
    You will also notice one edge of the screen typically brighter than the others - that is the edge the LEDs are mounted on.

The 'columns of light' are more noticeable on a black screen, visible as uneven 'light bleed'.
    And it is also more noticeable if the brightness is not fully on.

Some screens display it stronger than others. If it is very strong it could be an actual hardware fault (e.g. every other LED not lighting up) and Apple will replace the screen.

But mostly, that's just how it is.
    At least the pictures posted above are the normal case.

<sarcasm on>
    Funny how everyone was so happy and eager to get a LED backlit screen.
    True, they are thinner and typically the color gamut is wider.
    But uneven lighting is the price you pay...
    <sarcasm off>

Luckily on full brightness and with a white background it is not really noticeable.