Light Bleed Return This Am **Update**

Discussion in 'iPad' started by camaroIOM, Mar 14, 2011.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Exchange out Ipad 2 with light bleed at local apple store this morning. Both attendants could see the bleed even on the home screen. The more "seasoned" attendant stated this would probably dissipate over time, but known problem.
    We tested two different replacement Ipads and both had bleeding, but less than the Ipad I purchased friday. I was allowed to test in the darkest place apple could provide (the bathroom). Long story short I left with the lesser of two evils and will see how it plays out. The attendant did state she expected most to have the bleed.
    Ho
    Oh side not they only received 5 new Ipads this morning and line of 30 outside. However they do have replacements for damage Pads

2. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

What a waste of time and extra iPad 2's people could be enjoying. Give it a few days and it will disappear.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I have to agree that the BLEED might go away over time. The only time I really notice it is when I turn my iPad on @ the Apple Logo Screen.

I'm keeping mine. Don't wanna risk trading it in for one with Dead Pixels or some other annoying eye ache.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

So Apple is withholding iPads ..... strange.

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Not strange... Apple always does this. They always keep a few in stock for replacements of defective ones. I had to get one when my 3GS home button was stuck right after launch -- I asked if they had any in stock and he said nope, then I explained my phone was defective and he went in the back and brought one out, said all stores keep a reserve for defective product exchanges.

6. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Apple has done this with every product. They always have what they call DOA stock to replace damaged or defective units. They would rather a customer who had a defective unit go home with a working one than someone who didn't have one at all for this reason: The person who hasn't bought one yet will probably still buy one, if they cannot replace the defective one that person may return it and leave with an incredibly sour taste about the experience, never to return.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Waste of a return. Mine had some on launch day I can hardly notice it now. Not really a big deal.

8. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

They let you test it in the bathroom. You must have a very trust-worthy face.

9. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

good to hear. that means the one I have now will be gone in couple of days. The ipad from launch was still there even for store attendants to see

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I don't agree with this assessment. Light bleed never went away by itself on any of my iPad 1s.

11. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

You guys with the light bleed....do u have black iPads or white ones?

My white iPad seems to have very little if any bleed...maybe it's the white that makes it less noticeable..but even in a dark bathroom, it seems perfect.

I was thinking of exchanging for a black one, but I feel like I got lucky with this one and I don't want to end up with a messed up black one if I exchange.

12. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

The iPad 1 screen was clipped together. The iPad 2 is only glued together.

So it may not be the same case, and some have posted that there light bleed has gotten much better after a couple of days. So time will tell I guess.

If I have it I'll give it some time to get better before trying to exchange at the Apple store. I'd rather avoid that madhouse until things have died down, and hate going in there in general.

13. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

They are not RETAIL units.

Apple keeps a few of the iPads, iPhones, etc. just in plain brown boxes. No documentation. No accessories. Just the iPad/iPhone/etc. In the event that they have to do an exchange for a defective product- they use one of these units.

I had to return an iPhone 3Gs and this is exactly what happened. They came back with a little brown box, with an iPhone 3Gs in it, they took my SIM card out, swapped it, took my phone - and said, "There you go."

14. Zethca macrumors regular

There are a ton of people spreading misinformation all over.

Bleeding is not the same issue as the "yellow spot" thing (which had to due with bonding residue). It is unlikely that the bleeding will change with time.

15. tsekh macrumors member

Bathroom is exactly where I find iPad a necessity.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

+100000!