Light bleed sept ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gol27, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Gol27 macrumors regular

Hi I got my iPad a week ago an since then I have noticed slight light bleed up the right edge of my screen. So I'm thinking of taking it back into an apple store. The only problem is my iPad is engraved. Will that pose a problem?

Also is there anyway I can get apple to send me a replacement with the engraving and then I return my current iPad. It's vital to me for work and I can't really be without it for a great deal of time.

2. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Seems like they never will fix the bleed problem.

Answer to your questions will be,

no problem and yes they will re engrave for you.

3. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit worried where you say you don't think they will be able to ever resolve the problem. My light leak at the moment isn't too bad and only visible on a solid black screen an when on full brightness. I'm just in two minds if I should stick with this one and just put up with it.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Do you notice it when you're actually using the iPad or only when you go looking for light bleed?

5. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

I notice it when I'm watching movies, or if my home screen background is black.

6. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Apple will replace it for you, but if you don't want to be without an iPad for weeks, you are going to have to get a non-engraved one. I was in the same situation as you a few months ago, and Apple said they will allow to to keep your current iPad, wait for new to be shipped, and then send the old one back ONLY if you buy the $70 Applecare, regardless of if you are covered by the one year warranty. I confirmed this with many Apple representatives, and think it's nonsense. So now I have a non-engraved iPad 2.

7. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

That verges on the relms of blackmail to me! I have an appointment booked for this evening. If they try an pull that one there's going to be absolute hell!

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

I just upgraded to an iPad 2 a couple of days ago (sold iPad 1 for just a few dollars less than what I originally paid!) and I have no light bleed that I can find. I'm looking! But, the screen looks fabulous :)

As for the engraving issues, that sucks, but I've got to say that engraving a device is bound to result in some minor inconvenience, because it is modified, and not stock.

Not to minimize your distress here, but Apple operates on an international scale and here they are willing to go through this kind of hassle to exchange the device (much more complex than a straight-up exchange). I think that is pretty cool. The 70 dollar AppleCare thing is news to me, and a bit weird. But, even with that, you still get something out of the deal (extended warranty that will help your resale value as well).

9. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Yes?

10. Jmouse macrumors 6502

I personally do not think Apple will fix this issue for ipad2.

Just my 2c.

11. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Thinking of re-buying one again myself, whats the first 5 letters in your serial number?

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I have a 64gb wifi model bought in July. No light bleed. First 5 letters of mine are:

DN6FT

If this helps you at all?

13. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi guys just thought I'd give you a little feed back on how my trip to the apple store went.

To sum it up couldn't have asked for better. He did say while a little light bleed is to be expected it wasn't normal for it to be down only one side and be so asymmetrical. He offered to swap it for a new retail model but if I was adminant on keeping my engraving I'd have to ring the apple store which he said would cause any problem as said visit was noted and the problem verified by an apple genius. 10 minute call to apple later I have a new engraved model on the way estimated delivery is next Monday, and someone will come to pick up this defective one the same day.

That's how customer service should be! Experiences like this remind me why I pay that little bit more for apple products. Now it's just fingers crossed the new one is ok.

14. RobNor macrumors regular

I would say that unless the backlight bleed is really bad it's not too much of a problem whereas poor screen uniformity if bad is much more noticeable as you can see it all the time

15. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That should be the policy for all customers, good news for you :)

16. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Completely agree, mine has that and, wow, its annoying

DLXFW

17. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Maybe it is just me, but with some of the iPad 2 units still having problems with backlight bleeding, I cannot help but wonder how will they be able to improve the higher resolution retina display (if offered in the iPad 3) in terms of backlight bleed?

18. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i figure that they'll have to redesign the way the screen is attached or they will pass if off as "a little bleed is normal" kinda thing

maybe get rid of the bezel thingy?

19. skywalkerluke, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

skywalkerluke macrumors newbie

This is kind of a silly question, but are all iPad2s affected by this? When online researching light bleeding i found that the galaxy 10.1 Tablet also has light bleeding. So is it just the design of thin Tablets to have light bleeding? :confused:

20. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

From what I have gathered from reading about the problem is that all LCD screens have it to some degree on black screens due to the nature of the back light. It only really becomes a problem when it's prominent in one certain spot.

21. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

All over an engraving?? :eek:

If you try to start a fight with a genius they won't feel obliged to help you seeing they don't have to replace the iPad because of a bit of light bleed.