Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sal Collaziano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Royal Palm Beach, FL
When shutting down, we get a familiar light blue screen before the computer turns off. I'm getting this flashing at me while operating my MBP. It seems to happen twice, every so often. The screen will turn blue and become empty simultaneously for about a half second - then the screen I'm expecting to see comes back for about half a second - and then the light blue screen comes back again for about a half a second, and then everything goes back to normal.

What the heck is this?

I must say, I'm having a little bit of a difficult time with my switch to Apple from Microsoft last November. I've already had to replace the logic board, it appears as if my network card is no longer working (I can only connect via WiFi) - and now I'm having this odd light-blue screen flashing... My video card?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Are using or have ever used an external monitor? These flashes are typical of the computer detecting an external monitor and switching modes to accommodate it. It sounds like your computer is checking, not finding anything and then switching back. Maybe something is jammed in there, or a bug in the software or preference lists are causing it to keep checking. I think there's a preference list for external monitors somewhere...

also check your settings for your displays under system preferences. Do you play games? maybe some rogue software has you switching resolutions or display modes.

VI.

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
After three logic boards and a new MacBook Pro replacement, I bought a Mini-display to HDMI adapter and the blue screen flash went away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (It was the HDMI adapter that saved the year!!!!!!!!!)

Note: Mini-display to DVI and Mini-display to VGA apple adapters still result in the blue screen flashing.

What a total waste of time!!!! Apple care and apple repair centre were not very useful! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.