Light Colored Leather Smart Covers Stain Easily

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JimAtLaw, Mar 27, 2011.

1. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

Watch out folks - I'm absolutely loving my iPad 2 and the smart cover, but I've only had it a few days and without spilling anything on it, it's already picked up a couple of small stains just from sitting on dry table tops, my ottoman, etc. - the leather is very soft & pretty and feels great in the hand but its also very porous and does not seem to have been treated much, if at all, for stain resistance. (Good for follow up sales, I'm sure... :eek:)

I got the light cream colored leather, which I'm sure is the worst of the possible colors for this (yes, I know I'm an idiot...), but just thought I'd warn anyone else with one of the lighter leather covers to be careful, it can pick up a stain from something you can't even see.

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

With the exception og black, all the leather covers seem to be a little tough to keep clean. If someone has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

3. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Lemon Pledge

My red leather Smart Cover picked a couple of small dark splotches (probably water on a counter top). I rubbed it down with several applications of Lemon Pledge (furniture polish) sprayed on a soft cloth. This removed the stains. After it dried the leather has a semi-gloss finish and is just a bit darker. The way it soaked up multiple coats of Pledge leads me to believe that the leather wasn't treated with anything.

(*) Lemon Pledge is also marketed as a leather cleaner (read the back of the can/bottle), so this is a perfectly groovy application of the product.

4. basqarl macrumors regular

Hand sanitized + red leather = white splotches

So I have been babying my iPod2 with its red leather smart cover, and have been keeping it in what I thought was a safe location.... But, lo, my teenage son somehow managed to drip hand sanitizer on it. (don't ask) It sat undiscovered probably for at least 1/2 hour. I picked it up to use and felt wet goo on the surface. I did the responsible thing.... I freaked! Then i cleaned it with a dry paper towel. Now it has several light, almost white spots on it. Would anyone have any ideas of how to even the color out (or hopes against hopes, bring it back to its original color?) Or should I just add spots and make it into a spotted cover?!?! Suggestions?

:eek:
    :(
    :mad:
    :(
    :confused:

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Find a grey haired person in your vicinity that works with leather....tack shop owner, shoe repair person, pervert-whatever. My local shoe repair shop has an older gal that's perpetually covered in polish, but knows her stuff.

She steered me to cadillac boot and shoe lotion to protect, clean and recondition leather. Clear, so it works on my red and black smart covers. Rub it on with your fingers.

Darkens the red a bit, but I like it. Think I'd rather have a deeper maroonish red that the color it originally was.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

I surprised this is such a revelation - ask your wife why she does not have any lightly covered handbags and if she does, how they hold up. I returned a tan case for this reason. Rub this in once a month and it reduces the wear and leaves the color alone. Get it at any shoe store:
    [​IMG]

7. Lindalou macrumors member

Apple Garde

I use Apple Gardé Rain and Stain Repellent spray. I can't really report actual results as my iPad is still somewhere in China so my smart cover sits sad and empty however, I have treated it Apple Garde. Did not change the color or texture so hopefully it will keep those pesky stains away. I do use it on all my leather bags and it works really well!!!

Here is a link. I got mine at Amazon, I found they had the best price.

http://www.amazon.com/Garde-Rain-Stain-Repellant-Pack/dp/B001U5FGTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1303062858&sr=8-1

8. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

^^^ lol when I first started reading it I thought apple themselves came out with this stain repellant spray

9. glen e macrumors 68030

if they did, it would be the same stuff - 5 times as expensive and the bottles would come in 9 designer colors so you could "collect them all":D:D

10. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

My creme leather smart cover is picking up stains as well - this is common as leather attracts any form of liquid or dirt. With a polyurethane cover, you can clean any stains that occur, as it would just fade away. I tried cleaning my smart cover but it kept leaving more stains on it.

I wonder how long they will last before I end up burning my smart cover in an oven.

11. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

My navy blue is holding up pretty well :)

12. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Probably its a darker colour, thats why. I had a black leather smart cover and it looked like brand new even after 2 weeks of heavy use - my creme cover has already got stains and marks on it since a week of use - and when I try to clean it it gets worse.

13. glen e macrumors 68030

correct - tan and creme are the ones that will get hit the worst - black and navy are easier to hide the marks....I tradd tan to black and treat the black with black shoe polish/hide food