Mobile OSs Light flow proves Android 4.3 soon?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by strausd, May 17, 2013.

1. Explicitic macrumors 6502

Android 4.3 will likely be announced and come with the second-generation Nexus 7 rumored to be released in July with 5.0 coming in the fall on a new Nexus :)

Very excited to see what Google has in store. Although I do wonder why they are requiring persistent icons with apps like that now. I do understand that it prevents apps from being killed but the icon is annoying. They should find a way to fix this so I can run apps like Sidebar and RoundR without the annoying icons and risk of being killed.

2. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I am most looking forward to seeing an updated Nexus 7. I would just like to see some actual leaks about it at this point. Everything is just pure speculation.

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I have a stupid question, what are 'persistent' icons?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Icons that can not be removed ?? Just guessing.

5. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I believe they are icons which "persist". as in iOS, no matter what home screen you are on, eg the dock.

6. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

The icons always showing in your status bar if the related process is running in background.

Like if you run juice defender, there is an icon always showing in the statusbar. That is a persistent icon.

These are different from notification icons which go away once it is read/cleared.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Ugh. Why would they make the change to make persistent icons mandatory? I like a clean status bar and that will suck if you are required to have persistent icons up there for running services.