Light Gaming Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SirOhYeah, Feb 17, 2013.

1. SirOhYeah macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I recently bought a 13 in macbook pro with retina display, 8 gb ram, 256 ssd.
    i was wondering if i could run some light games on it like League of Legends or other mmorpgs. I have noticed that when i play minecraft it heats up a bit on the bottom of the laptop near the screen. is it ok to run games like LoL?

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Its completely fine.
    Macs do get hot but if its over heating, mac will automatically shut itself down.

3. SirOhYeah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    I was afraid that I spent all this money I saved up for it and the computer turns out to be crappy. Do you have any Tia for keeping the bottom a bit cooler?

4. mitevpi macrumors newbie

If you reallllyyyyy want one, there's cooling stations for all kinds of laptop that'll externally help cool your machine.

5. foxf8 macrumors member

i have the rmbp and it gets hot! i did go into power options --> adv power options, to throttling the cpu down a little from 100% to 60%. then i downloaded a fan controller to make the fans spin faster i went from 80-90C down to 50-65c. thats playing crysis 3, tera online, grid 2, the new tomb raider. thats with bootcamp running windows only i have yet to try parallels program see if heat well stay down if mac os stays in charge some what

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

You can run a VM on your BootCamp partition in Parallels but you won't be happy with the framerate hit. It's fine for MS office, web browsing, email and other light tasks but you'll likely end up booting into Windows directly when it's time to fire up Tomb Raider. At least from my experience.

7. foxf8 macrumors member

yeah i found the same thing and one game says it wont play under a virtual machine. i do get better performance with straight windows.

8. Petulka macrumors member

If it was really hard for you to save the money you should've waited for refresh.
    If you bought refurb I take that back.

9. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Lol will run more than fine.

10. Serban Suspended

On hd4000 put 1440*900 resolution everything medium and it will run fine

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

12. GameFreak348 macrumors regular

I can play Battlefield 3 and 4 with my rMP 13"

13. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

So long as you're getting airflow you're fine. It's made to get toasty... it's just shedding heat.