Light leak on 3rd iPhone 3G Grr!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Nov 19, 2008.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

No wonder the iPhone only costs £299 compared to a new Nokia which costs £500 +

I sent my original iPhone back due to crashing and light leak and recieved a replacement that was gross...the gap all around the screen was filled with rubber and looked horrible so i told Apple i was not happy and that i wanted a brand new iPhone they sent me another iPhone and this one also has a leak of light around the screen.

Are other people finding the same problem?

2. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Nope, and I'm on my 2nd iPhone here

3. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Send it back and ask for another?

5. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

what if again it has another light leak?

I am now have two Iphone which are both not good :(

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I'm on my 4th iPhone, the first one was cracking near the headphone jack and also the body was not flush with the chrome and had light leaks. My second one also had light leaks and battery problems so I got my third one and gave it right back to the Genius because the ringer switch kept getting stuck and did not go back and forth like it should, so I am now on my 4th iPhone and it still has light leaks.. I've pretty much given up from here since this phone is perfect beside that.

7. unixfool macrumors 6502a

As long as you're getting a sub-par phone, you should be returning it for one that meets standard build quality.

Its pretty simple, IMO...if something's broken or not right with your phone, return it, no matter how many times. Discussing it here won't get you a favorable phone. You need to chat with a rep.

8. svndmvn Guest

OP,here are two threads that might help your situation
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=599734
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=526266
    What do you mean there was rubber on the iPhone? between the glass and the aluminum bezel? there IS supposed to be a pretty thin layer of rubber between those two..it's there to kinda protect the glass as well
    I'm on my sixth iPhone, and all of them have had light leaks,I've exchanged just the first one for this reason,though,I've given up and turn the brightness really really low when in a room,it still bothers me but wth
    so,just try and turn the brightness all the way down and if it still bothers you ask for another one but remember the next one could have more and worse defects and imperfections.
    I guess the risk is what we pay for having such a hard to build device.
    I believe the price you payed for it is still subsidized in a certain way cuz I payed 569€,more than 800$ for an operator free phone, I believe Nokias cost less and are less attractive/functional/hard to build etc

9. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

..thanks guys...this just isnt good enough. I watch movies in bed some nights and the light is just distracting and is taking light away from the main screen as its leaking.

I have spoken with a rep and he is making it his job to ensure this matter gets sorted. This is such a shame as the packaging/ case is so cheap :-(

6th iphone man...i feel for you!

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm on my 4th iPhone too. Not counting the 2 other iPhones I had to hand back to the genius immediately. First one had light leaks and wavy lines on the screen... second one had light leaks and eventually cracked... third one had no light leak but, the metal and plastic weren't aligned and created a sharp edge on one side... 4th iPhone is the one I kept since it has a perfect screen (no wavy lines) and no alignment issues and there is a very SMALL light leak which is very tolerable to me.

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

My question to you all is....are you sitting in a dark room and inspecting the phone?

12. svndmvn Guest

I know it is of bad consolation for such a nice device, and for it's price etc..have you ever thought about having a case for it? I read about people having a case on it and not having to worry about the light leak..have you also lowered the brightness to like a 10th? I find the leak a lot less distracting watching a movie at night with that setting, if it doesn't work, exchange the thing and try that on your next one, and if it doesn't have more serious imperfections I suggest you keep that one.
    btw, everytime I have to exchange one I have to wait from 2 to 8 days for it to be redelivered to me,iPhoneless for a lot of time if you sum that up:)
    andyblila,would you have to be inspecting one if it was like this? [​IMG]
    I noticed it as soon as I got home with it,as you can see,it's not even activated,and I wasn't in a dark room at all

13. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

OMG exactly the same as mine. I may take a trip to the Apple Store and test it there and then! Arghh Apple you cheap ba*tards!

14. svndmvn Guest

good luck and post here from your perfect iPhone..
    but remember it's not Apple's fault, they pay somebody else for the assembly, I believe Foxconn

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My advice when you return it:

Don't just take home the first one they give you. Ask if you can test it first. Inspect it for dead pixels, dust, misaligned glass, misaligned plastic/metal, cracks and definitely for light leaks. They'll even let you take it into the Apple bathroom to turn the lights off and check for leaks. That's what they did with me and I'm glad I did because that same day, I went home with a perfect iPhone.

Good luck!

16. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Man well done, i want a perfect iPhone :apple:

17. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

WOW, I stand corrected. I guess that I have been lucky. I own two and have seen nothing like that!