"Light Leak" on Back of iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msizzle64, Aug 21, 2008.

1. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

Last night I was listening to music and i turned my black iPhone over and noticed about 7 points of light on the back towards the bottom on the side without the volume buttons. 2 of the leaks being very bright and the others dull. They looks like holes underneath the plastic. It was really difficult to take a picture but i managed to get a picture of the 2 brightest ones. the first picture is the original and the second is brightened and the third and fourth show where all of them are. Does anyone else's iPhone have this? Go into a completely dark room and check for them in the same location. (Click pics to enlarge)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

i'm having trouble uploading them. they'll be up in a few.

3. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

OK - I don't have the light leaks but I am curious to see how it looks

4. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

ok they're up

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i sure do, have had 4 iphone 3g whites, and 3 in a row have had a big light leak through the back. i made a thread on the forum and something like 25% of white iphone owners had light leaking through the plastic. i've given up trying to get one that doesn't.

6. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

wow. were all those exchanged because of that light leak or something else?

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

2 for the light leak, the rest for other stuff as well. yours is the first black one i've seen with it. the leaks for me have been really bad. all up the right side and about half on the left. maybe a 1/4 inch wide.

8. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

wow. mine are just little specks. and plus i have a slight light leak on the front between the chrome and screen. it doesn't annoy me that much but do you think it's worth and exchange. and my battery is horrible, worse than normal

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i think its worth it for the front light leak for sure. the back, well, i might not bother this time, i mean... 3 in a row? could have been on the first one i had to, i just never checked. i think i might just wait a little while and hope that the QC issues have gotten under control. its up to you, you did pay a lot of money for your iPhone, both upfront and over time. we deserve to have devices free from defect when we purchase them.