Light leak: should i get a new one

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by oadam11, Sep 16, 2010.

1. oadam11 macrumors newbie

I have a light leak on my ipod touch 4 around the volume buttons. It is a little less than in inch in height. should i go to apple a replace it?

2. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

geez. do what you want!

3. classie787 macrumors member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is everyone referring to when they talk about "leaks" on the iPod Touch? What exactly is leaking from this device?

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If it prevents you from being happy with the device, take it back to the Apple Store. Otherwise, don't.

5. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I just opened mine up and I have the same thing around the volume button. You can pretty much see the light from the inside shining through. The seam between the chrome and the glass is not fully closed. I don't know if I will go to the Apple store to replace it cause who knows if the next one will have the same issue or not.

6. Code.Red macrumors regular

My touch had one running the length of the volume buttons on the left, and a dot of light coming from the right. Went to the genius bar, got a replacement on the spot - took 15 mins total. So if you want to do it, do it. It's fast.

The replacement I got still has a light leak, although less than my first. It's about the length of one of the volume buttons but on the right side, near the middle. I'm debating bringing it back for another replacement right now. Might wait a bit.

I checked the iPod touch 4th gens they have on display, and 2/8 had the problem.

7. fwoppers macrumors member

I have a light leak (and the video clicking issue). I went today to get a replacement (I've been calling, and they finally have the 32GB back in stock), and they told me that
    1) I need to make an appointment online to see the Genius Bar and
    2) If I wanted to get it replaced right then and their, I'll need to pay the restocking fee.

On top of that, the people who were 'helping' me (if you could call it that) were unattending and unhelpful. I wish I had purchased this from somewhere other than the Apple Store so that I would be treated properly.

8. Code.Red macrumors regular

That's quite odd. Yes, they want you to schedule online, but you can make an appointment right there at the store if they have appointment times available.

Unfotunate that the guys at your Apple store weren't helpful. I'm pretty sure the restocking fee doesn't apply when you are still under warranty and it's a manufacturing defect.

9. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

Absolutely, yes.

I returned my unit for light leaking on the right side. You as a customer pay a premium for Apple products and should expect the highest quality. If it is not up to your standards then take it back, you shouldn't settle for a product with any defect when you're dropping major cash.

10. fwoppers macrumors member

Did you receive a replacement without leaks/clicking/mushy buttons/etc?

11. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

An appointment and a restocking fee to return a defective product???

That's asinine!!!

12. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Lightgate

There's only one solution - Apple needs to do the right thing and give everyone a free case. :D

13. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

But we are holding it right lol.

If it bothers you I will recommend taking it to the apple store sooner rather than later.

14. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Give the store a choice. They can either give you a touch that doesn't leak or a case to cover up the leak. :D

15. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Try this in the store when exchanging a touch that leaks. After they get you a new one, open it up and check for leaks. If it leaks too, exchange it again. Then keep doing this until you get one that doesn't leak. They will love you for it.

16. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

You can see light (from the screen) between the parts. To the OP: If I were you I would return it. You paid a considerable amount of money for it so it should be "perfect". Apple is marketing themselves as making quality stuff so you should get quality stuff too.

17. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I have the light leak at the volume buttons as well, but stopped by Best Buy today and got a Belkin Grip Vue case (they were also opening boxes with a bunch of Griffin cases but I didn't feel like sticking around, however they had the silicone and the hard cases in there according to staff). It completely covers the light leak and is a decent rubberized sleeve until I get the folio type case that I am waiting to be made!

18. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I went to the Genius Bar yesterday and they did an exchange for a new one. Neither genius I dealt with were aware of the leak issues but they did check the floor models and found a few that were just like mine. So they did exchange mine for a brand new one and looks to have to problems. No light leaks and I didn't notice any clicking while recording video. So hopefully no other problems arise.

19. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

I have the light leak around the volume buttons and if it were a real problem I would exchange it, but since there is no way for dust to get between the glass and the screen and since my Belkin Vue covers the volume buttons anyway why sweat it?

20. garycoleman2 macrumors member

I think light leak will eventually happen after several heat cycles from doing things that cause it to heat up. The heat causes some of the glue to fail which makes the edges come loose and light to leak. The area around the volume button area seems to heat up the most from extensive usage.

My IPT4 did no have light leak in the beginning but now has a little bit near the volume buttons

21. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

My iPt also got it. Approx. 2cm along the volume buttons and 1cm on the right side, opposite to the vol. buttons.

Do I have to speak to a genius guy first to approve the fault or does it suffice when I just call apple and describe my problem? I hope it does, since the next apple store is 40 miles away.

22. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Can anyone demonstrate light leak on the pictures? I've seen some light leaks on other devices (iPhone, previous gen iPod touch), but never on iPod touch 4gen.

23. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

You only see it from the right angle. At first I thought(hoped) it was a reflection from the screen on the chrome edge. If it was so, it'd be along the whole screen and not just in 2 spots. i think it's hard to make a picture of, since you need o turn up the brightness to 60% and more. Next to the much b righter screen the leak would fade. Plus you need the right angle.

If graycoleman2 is right and it will happen on every iPt sooner or later, there'd no point in exchanging it.

Can somebody confirm this?

24. fwoppers macrumors member

The first is from my first Touch, the second is from the replacement Touch I got. BOTH have the wifi-video clicking.

Attached Files: