light leak through BACK of iphone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shvartsies, Jun 13, 2009.

1. shvartsies macrumors regular

I just got my white iPhone 3G replaced with a refurbished one because I have a light leak.
    Last night I was at a party in a dark room playing with my phone and someone goes "yo whats up with your phone?" I looked at the back of the iPhone and on the right side and left side there are yellow-whitish spots coming through the plastic. When I put the iPhone in standby they went away.

Clearly it is the backlight emenating through the plastic.

Let me repeat. It is an actual spotted pattern of light on the right and left side of the back of the white iPhone.
    I have never seen or heard anything like it.

I went to my apple store today and I said "light is coming through the back of my iPhone." They treated me like another noob 15 year old kid wanting to get a replacement. They had 5 geniuses trying to put the phone in drawers and trying to re-create the problem. They put it in a laptop bag. It wouldn't show up, it just wasnt dark enough.

I tried to take pics but you can hardly see it, with the flash on you can't see it and without the flash you can't see anything at all.

They refused to give me a replacement. I also have the normal light leak around the chrome and they refused to replace that as well.

Any suggestions how to prove it to them?

EDIT: After the party I went in my room, turned off the light, and cranked the brightness up, and sure enough it was there. Light coming clearly through the plastic. It wasn't some sort of reflection at the party. Its legit.

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

go at 9 pm and ask them to turn off the store lights for a few seconds :D

EDIT: wait is my post actually possible to do? i thought i was being sarcastic but maybe its possible?

3. davyreins macrumors 6502

This happens to my white iPhone too. Unfortunately I can't give you much advice on how to prove it to them. I had also tried taking a picture but wasn't successful (I'm sure you can, I just didn't spend much time on it).

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

please explain to me how light leak that is only visible when it is extremely dark ON THE BACK of your phone affects the usability :rolleyes:

Stop BSing and admit you want a replacement phone because it is showing signs of wear and tear

THe plastic on the Iphone 3G is not that thick, so in certain areas in the back, if it is dark enough you might be able to see bright areas

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

6. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I went to my apple store today and I said "light is coming through the back of my iPhone." They treated me like another noob 15 year old kid wanting to get a replacement. They had 5 geniuses trying to put the phone in drawers and trying to re-create the problem. They put it in a laptop bag. It wouldn't show up, it just wasnt dark enough.

[/QUOTE]

That's the truth. dont lie for a replacement

7. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

you gotta be kidding

i just went into a pitch black room and looked at my white iphone with the backlight on...and i couldnt see anything at first.

it was soo hard to see it, and I am amazed that someone would actually try to return a phone based on it...i find it hard to believe that someone pointed that out to you.

im not sure how you would even be in a situation where that could even present the slightest problem
    ..it took me a while sitting here to see a TINY bit of something on either side. its not a light leak though..its just thin white plastic..not sure what you would like them to do about that....get a black one.

8. shvartsies thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, my phone is in absolutely perfect condition. Not a single scratch. I am not lying. I would not have the nerve to come here and post this if I was lying. This is a replacement phone that I was given four days ago, which is why I haven't noticed it until now.

It's not hard to see at all, in a dark room. In a dark room it's extremely noticeable and totally visible, and very annoying. I understand that it doesn't hinder the phones performance, but if I paid 300 dollars for a phone I don't want silt flaws in it.

I didn't post this to bash apple, and I acknowledge that their customer service is incredible. I wrote this for advice on how to prove this problem is legitimate. Back off

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Solution?

Here is someone with a similar problem and a solution. Hope it helps.

Edit: Please pardon the smiley in the title, I meant it to be the light bulb.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

spillproof great link

but the OP is actually complaining about back light leakage

yes you heard that right

this is like complaining that the back of your TV has light coming out of it when its on, and only visible when the room is really dark :rolleyes:

11. shvartsies thread starter macrumors regular

You do understand that light coming out of the back of a tv isn't normal, right?

12. Benjic macrumors regular

You do understand that a flat-screen TV and a cellphone fall into very different quality control standards, right?

[​IMG]

Also, argument nullified.

Seriously, if you have to go through THAT much trouble to show them the problem, it isn't a problem. How often do you find yourself staring at your phone backwards in complete darkness. If the answer is anything other than "Never", seek help.

13. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

are you going to admit that you are being anaL?

14. shvartsies thread starter macrumors regular

I am being anal, but when my phone costs $300 I also have a right to be anal. I understand that tv's and phones have different quality control. Dr. Cabrera was the one who said light coming out of the back of a tv is normal.

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I agree with this.

Tbh I could understand it if it was like 2 dead pixels in a corner and that was you being anal about your $300 phone, but for something that you won't even notice unless you turn your phone over in a dark room I don't get why you're bothering.

16. johnqh macrumors regular

Solution: "case".