Light leakage, iPod Touch 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ryanbridgwood, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ryanbridgwood macrumors member

I have a light leakage on my iPod Touch. For £249.99 I want the product to be perfect because it's a lot of money. I brought it on the 9th September from the Apple Store in Birmingham.

It's only visible in the dark, but it is still there, it's about 2cm's I would say. It's really bugging.

If I go to the Apple genius bar will they give me a refurb? Because if they do then that's not right surely because they should give me a brand new product.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Cheers.

2. redmike macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a light leak on my iPod Nano 5G as well and I don't think it's big deal.
    I'm buying a 4G iPod Touch soon and I won't mind about small light leak.
    You know, there are some people reporting much worse problem that this, so by replacement you can get a serious problem. Will you go through tens of exchanges 'till you can't spot any issue?

Nothing is perfect. I love my Apple products and I worry about them, but . . .
    Nothing is perfect. ​

Enjoy your life and have fun with your iPod.

Peace.

3. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

Bring it in

Bring it in. Light leaks mean there's almost certainly a physical hole that will allow dirt and moisture into the unit, shortening its life. If they want to swap it and there's a light leak on the new one, ask for it to be fixed.

The production was that bad.

4. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

This is bunk. That would mean that just about every LCD television would have a 'physical hole' in the unit. Or that just about every Sony PSP or Nintendo DSi would have the same. Bottom line is that LCD technology is not perfect, and light leakage in the panel is one of those imperfections to some degree. Now if you have it where it distorts the picture, then sure, exchange it and get a replacement. There are going to be some imperfections. Accept this when buying the technology, or live in misery and ruin the return policies for everyone else.

5. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

That's true, I agree with that. But how is it possible, that I have never heard of light leaks before (I had a 1g and now a 2g iPod touch)?

6. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

If you never read about "light leaks", would you have ever noticed a problem with your touch????

7. redmike macrumors newbie

I have never read about light leaks when I spotted it on mine.

8. Botoxopfer macrumors newbie

I'd like to qoute a post in a thread I made about my iPod having light leaks.

btw I'm going to exchange mine because of light leaks, too.

9. redmike macrumors newbie

Botoxopfer
    Okay, I was wrong. Thank you for quoting it.

10. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

ah. interesting. I've got two 4G touchs here and both are fine. some people just have BAAAD luck, I guess.

11. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

The main difference between a TV or monitor and an ipod, PSP or DS is simply that you carry portables to more places and have much more opportunity to damage the unit.

While dust and dirt doesn't seem outrageously harmful to the electronics, if you've done any reading on the iphone 4, it seems very harmful to the glass itself for some reason. The reason isn't inherently electronic.

Also:

I've never noticed light leaks on my gameboys, gamegears, or anything. Not even my cell phones. Not the way they happen from my ipod. I don't think there's any real denying that the process of rolling things out on the latest iOS devices from Foxconn has been particularly great.

I mean, its not like conditions are that bad in China, right?

I like my ipod. Don't get me wrong. I know its limitations. Just because something has some problems doesn't mean you're out of options. I don't own enough apple stock to justify my accepting an inferior product when 1) I don't have to and 2) apple says not to.

12. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

2cm is pretty big. You should get a replacement for one with smaller light leak.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'd trade my clicking camera issue for a little light leak any day of the week.

14. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Again, what you are implying is incorrect. Light leakage is due to a cell in the LCD not being able to properly block light when set to black. Usually, this is due to pressures being applied on the panel that inhibits the cell from working properly. Touch any LCD panel with your finger creating pressure, and you can create your own light leak. The edges of any panel have the most pressure applied in final assembly, so you have the most noticeable issues there. To say that there is some manufacturing defective 'hole' in the panels themselves is ridiculous.

Any device that uses an LCD panel, large or small, will have the issue, from cameras to gaming devices to televisions.

For the price point that consumers demand for their electronic devices, at least currently, this is what you get for the money.

15. redmike macrumors newbie

I think someone said it clicks only if Wi-Fi or Bluetooth is on.