Light Leaking -- Wait for Fix or Swap for New?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beaver82, Jul 28, 2008.

1. beaver82 macrumors member

I know that light leaking on the left side of the screen is a problem for the majority of people. Just wondering if that's the only problem as of now, if people are going to try and hold out and see if there is some type of resolution to this......... or make a genius bar appointment and test your luck not getting a phone with more problems than just a light leak?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I'd wait a bit, then chances are the genius' in the apple store will know its a common fault and you will probably have it replaced quickly. I'd wait for a newer batch of iPhones to come out.

3. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I've got a bit of light leak around the screen about where the volume keys are. It seems to be a common occurrence that another handset won't improve significantly enough to balance out the hassle of starting over. It doesn't bother me a great deal. C'est la vie, I reckon.

4. beaver82 thread starter macrumors member

I agree with all of you. Just hoping they come out with a more "sealed" batch or better quality off the assembly line and offer replacements to people with this issue. I guess a nice slim case would hide that leaking right up. Funny thing is I have a clear Agent18 case and I noticed the leak this morning when I woke up. It's scattered all up and down the left side of the phone. OH well...... let's hope for the best, no other problems besides the norm.

5. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Just swapped mine out today. This one is even worse than my first one.

Not sure why you're worried about "starting over"? Not sure what that even means?

If you're worried about your data, you backup in iTunes prior to your swap and then come back and restore. Now if you have something like InvisibleShield though...

6. Lightbrazer macrumors member

As far as I can tell the black inset in the phone is "cut" with a downward slice (think of it like a cookie cutter coming down over a sheet of aluminum) which is then right justified when the phone is assembled.

Since the edges will always crimp down there will always be light leakage on the side of the phone it's not set against which clearly is the left side.

No lie there are 20 people at my job who got the new iphone, 100% myself included, have some light leak on the left. In fact, I've yet to meet anyone with none. Clearly this is done so as to make sure there's less material and it always fits as opposed to having too much and requiring a manual shave to perfectly fit on each unit.

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me. Dead pixels would drive me nuts, but light leak seems not to even catch my eye.

Point is though, if you have no dead pixels and your battery is doing decently, I'd keep the phone. You have an unlikely chance of getting a phone with no light leek so why risk a crappy battery or dead pixel on the screen?

7. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Hello - nice to meet you! Mine doesn't have the light leak issue. Mine was bought on launch day and as soon as I started reading about it on the forums I checked mine out in a dark room. I guess I got lucky.

8. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

if you can wait, then that probably is the best idea. As I found out this morning, Apple does not charge a restock fee as long as you're within your 14 days, and if the "genius" tries to, just point em here
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

I unfortunately needed a phone so I had to go through the hassle of going back and forth between the apple store. Today success! no light leak!