Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Hey, I am starting to see blue-ish color on a completely black background with 100% on the bottom of the display. Is it normal for the display to have light leak this early on?

Also, is it irreversible? Without replacing the display?

Thanks

frnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Here's one I took in full dark room. It can be seen on the bottom very clearly.

img1247ac.jpg

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Mine does the same

But I also moded my lappy with a new screen so I can't bring it in.

Does this happen only when the laptop is hot?

Since the heat sinks are right next to the bottom of the screen, I noticed that heat starts fading the screen like that.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Well mine has bad leakage too and I have done no modding at all plus as it's a custom built I can't just take it in for a new one. Very crap build quality in the unibody mb pros.

yeah and ive seen this on a 15" MBP late 08 and a 13" MB late 08
seems to be something with the LED, they should offer a screen replacement, they essentially replace the lid of the system as far as i know.

Well gee, I wonder why you have this problem then...
i dont see how it would light leak if he swapped out the display or how thatd make a difference, unless he removed the glass bezel and didnt install it properly...otherwise its just a matter of replacing the display/top case and reconnecting the display and connections.

trungthiendo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
my screen is just like the OP's with leaks at the bottom. I thought it was normal?

if this isn't normal what do i tell a genius to have them fix it. There are some irks about my mpb that i have noticed.

i.e. the keyboard isn't as nice to type on as my little sister's 13 mbp also, exact config. It makes more noise and doesn't feel as solid.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
As a person who habitually used to return apple laptops with light bleed, trust me when I say that it's completely within what would be considered 'normal' in the laptop display industry. It's been many years since I've seen an Apple laptop that didn't have some kind of bleed -- the last one being the much dimmer display in my mother's 2006 powerbook G4. Remember, this is TN technology and they are illuminated differently than desktop displays.

Unless you want to gamble and possibly get a worse one, I'd stick with what you got.

trungthiendo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
yeah i know what you mean, these 'issues' don't really bug me all that much,

but i just wanted to know if i brought into the genius bar, what do i tell them about the light bleed? i mean i thought it was really normal and within 'specs'

is the light bleed normal? will they replace it if u show them that exact light bleed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.