All iPads Light leaks are in spec

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, May 25, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have a question...

When I went to your link, the only picture where I could see the light leak (possibly just because I'm not seeing it in the other pictures) was the picture where the pad was held at an extreme angle and the light leak was visible (to me) at the edge of the pad.

My question is can you see the light leak when you are holding the pad in a normal viewing position, i.e. relatively parallel to your line of vision?

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

No.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I agree with Apple on this. When a person is overtly looking for a problem (actual or perceived) like this and can only produce it when looking at it in an extreme angle, and not under normal use conditions, it's nit-picking IMO. Nothing is perfect and everything will always have a flaw of some kind.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

First, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.:D

I guess it works to my advantage that I'm not vey discerning. As long as it looks OK when I'm holding it as I use it, I'm fine with it.

I have to go along with SBG, I don't see this as an Apple problem. I feel that if you have to hold the device at some extreme angle, which you would never do in "normal" use, it's not a problem.:)

6. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

But it's still visible and I'm sure there's more iPads without this problem than with.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Doesn't matter. Light bleed is a "feature" of LCDs. Heck - take a look at most TVs with edge-led backlighting - even my £2000 set has some light bleed.

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

So do most iPads have this?

9. DMH3006 macrumors regular

They all have it,at some degree.
    Yours must be pretty good if you have to look at an extreme angle to notice it.

10. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean light leak, not light bleed

11. DMH3006 macrumors regular

This a non-issue,as you have to actively move your device to try and find the leak. This would only warrant a replacement if when having an iPad directly in front of you and you were able to see it,that doesn't happen so enough:)

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

People are confusing light LEAK with light BLEED. Light bleed, to some extent is normal. Light LEAK is not. With light LEAK, you are seeing the actual light from the backlight seeping through a fault in the assembly. Light LEAK as shown by the OP is a problem of poor assembly, wherein the screen itself is falling or buckling slightly under the glass and needs to be pushed up a bit, and it is NOT a common occurrence in iDevices. Exchange it! You are all but guaranteed not to receive one with this issue. Most of the posters in this thread do not know what they are talking about, or they are, as mentioned, confusing light leak with light bleed.

13. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple store said its in spec and can't exchange. Should I take it somewhere else then?

14. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

How long since you made the purchase and from where did you buy it? I would use the return policy if you are still in the return window. Simply return for your money back and buy another - no exchange needed. If you are out of the return window, try going to another Apple store or calling the 800 number, ask for the Customer Relations Department and insist on an exchange. If that doesn't work, either live with it or get it repaired third party. It can be a lesson to throroughly inspect your item within the return window.... and preferably on the first day of purchase.... to avoid situations like this, because if you do spot an issue, no matter what it is, you can return it to Apple, no questions asked, for a refund of your money which you can then use to purchase a new item. Simple, and avoids the stupid exchange hassle and the possibility of having to get a new device repaired or swapped with a brown box refurb. Best of luck.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't make assumptions on this. Regarding what is or isn't within spec, OEMs typically have specs on this. There is always a level of pass or fail tolerance with what is considered within spec. My advice is return if you're within the return limit. If you get the same issue repeatedly, just return permanently.

It could be the effect of imperfect assembly, but this has little to do with whether they determine it to be within spec. If it's not terribly common, odds would be in the OP's favor on a return and repurchase since they won't do an exchange. Obviously it depends on how long it has been since he purchased it.

If it's within the return limit, return and purchase another. Otherwise you could try the 800 number and escalate the issue as myrtlebee suggested. If it's an edge case, they should cave on it.

16. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

If anyone has an ipad 4, can you tell me if you see any light leak? Not light bleed.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If you are out of the return window you are out of the window. Maybe if you missed it by a couple of days this might work. But anything more than that and forget it.

If it was seen by a genius then there are likely detailed notes which Customer Relations would probably insist on reviewing and would find out that its not an issue outside of extreme methods.

Great advice to tell someone to have an unauthorized repair done over an issue that isn't an issue during actual use. That repair would void all service paid or otherwise at Apple for any issue and you can bet the repair people won't cover anything other than a faulty display.

18. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

The topic is about this issue, and, regarding this issue, I am correct in stating the options I did in this scenario. If the OP cannot live with the defect, and doesn't want to sell the device and buy another, and is outside the return window and Apple refuses a repair under AppleCare he can either try to argue with Apple via different stores or via telephone with Customer Relations (which has worked for me in the past quite a few times in similar situations, hence this recommendation - surprise!) or go to a third party repair center. I literally presented every option. Some are better than others, but he asked what to do and I gave him the options, so there you go.

19. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Just want to know if its common on many iPads. Obviously if it is, therell be no point replacing it and I'll have to live with it.

20. maxosx macrumors 68020

Sorry, I'm too busy enjoying mine.

However I do agree there's a problem without question. Steve Jobs created a habit of exaggerating how great Apple's products are. Being supremely successful & convincing his worshipers, we now have hoards of people with unrealistic expectations of perfection.

THAT'S the truth as revealed by the massive number of posts here, that continue to find "faults" when in reality, they're merely characteristics.

21. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree with that.

22. samanthas macrumors regular

My ipad 2 had this. By the camera. I actually went in for a replacement (at best buy) and the replacement had it too! To a much lesser extent though. They told me mine was pretty bad. Anyway I ended up just keeping the replacement.

My ipad 3 doesn't have it though, luckily. I pretty much check all my devices for this now. Hah. My 3ds actually had it too. :eek:

23. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It is not normal. I have seen near a hundred iPads and owned near a dozen and only one had the problem.... it is not normal, that's what I've been trying to tell you.