Light on inside iMac, while turned off.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac., Jan 15, 2008.

1. Mac. macrumors 6502

Hi. I've had my new iMac since Christmas. I turn it off at night when i go to bed, but i don't switch it off by the mains (plug) because its a pain getting behind the desk to flick the switch off.

Every night while lying in bed, i have noticed a small light on my desk underneath the iMac, but i never thought anything of it, i actually thought it was a refection coming from my window shining onto the iMac/desk.

Last night i decided to get up and see where the light was coming from. I was shocked to see a light shining from inside the iMac :confused: It was on the right hand side of the RAM storage. It looked as if the light was shining downwards, towards the desk.

- Anyone know WHY the light stays on while the iMac is turned off?

- Is it normal to do so?

- Should i switch my Mac off a night by the PLUG ?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

um, I dont see any light on mine even when I put it to sleep?

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Already discussed @ http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=404908

And I quote from a reliable source:
    * you = the technician

;)

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

So let me get this straight.... the lights are on, but nobody's home?

:p

5. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks allot!

So what is the reason for this light staying on while the Mac is turned off?

Is it safe to leave it on 24/7 ? because i would prefer not to turn my iMac off by the main plug every night, pain in the arse getting behind my desk lol.

6. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Huh? He just told the lights function. What do you mean by "Is it safe to leave it on 24/7 ?" Do you mean ON or OFF? Do what ever you like! If a computer cant handle being on or off, its had to be designed badly. Damn some of you guys are "anal" :p

7. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

:confused:

Just curious... Nothing wrong with asking a question.

I recently got the iMac, which is my first Mac. I just want to make sure im doing everything right ffs!

8. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Btw, its very normal, most PC motherboards have also some kind of indicator led that tells the powersupply is connected to the outlet. So technically even when the computers are "off" they are littlebit still "on". When user presses the power button, it "kicks" the powersupplys "pin" to full ON. :cool:

Same idea as in TV's and so on...