light or dark colored iphone case to deflect heat, will it make a difference

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sossity, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have been looking at the otterbox defender cases on ebay for my iphone 3gs, I also read that haet is one of the worst things for the battery.

would a light colored case help deflect heat? in the same way light colored clothes might? or would it make any difference? if my case is white/light colored or black?

2. Tubig macrumors newbie

Heat from what source?

Heat from thermal energy transfer from the battery? The case color is pretty much negligible. The case (any case for that matter), to some extent, acts as a thermal insulator that traps in heat that would otherwise dissipate through the iPhone's housing. The ambient air that would otherwise cool the phone over the entire surface, is now limited to the screen and a few random ports that are not covered by the case.

Heat from direct sunlight? Sure, that's if you keep your phone screen down in direct sunlight, especially the kind that I'm seeing now days out here in SoCal. The lighter color doesn't exactly deflect heat, but rather deflects the sun's rays which in turns, generates heat.