Light Peak On MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vant, Sep 16, 2010.

1. vant macrumors 65816

Source: Intel

Light Peak is scheduled for 2011 (was Q4 2010).

50 meter cable (scales to 100 meters)
    7 devices can be daisy chained on one port
    wire can be tied in a knot and still works

Image is obviously photoshopped, but it was released by Intel.

Attached Files:

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I hope their going to make a 34 PCI Express card with lightpeak like they have for eSata

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

so yeah

I don't think a Expresscard/34 is going to work well with light peak just because IIRC light peak is faster than PCI Express 2.0 x1

4. bamf macrumors 6502

I'd welcome a lightpeak connector on the side of my MBP though. :)

5. Blues003 macrumors 6502

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I hope they only make it in a 54 format, you can't use it either :p

7. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter. Those are threads where the discussion can be continued. They're not outdated.

9. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

You can say that about every thread. OMG its a 2x4GB ram thread! Post it in the previous one!

This thread is to talk about the picture that was posted and how it may lead to the MBP being the first product with LP.

10. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

i find it funny that every post i've ever seen by GGJstudios has included a link to another thread

11. bamf macrumors 6502

Guess it's not every post eh? :p

12. HunterMaximus macrumors member

It's pretty silly that some people seem to think there should be only one thread for a topic ever. There are forums like that, and it just leads to 100+ page threads where it's impossible to sort out all the useful stuff without wading through each page. Not to mention that thread necromancy can be a PITA sometimes too. Obviously there's no fixed rule, but I don't think it's unreasonable to start a new thread when new info comes out and there's not a recently updated one.
    /digression

Back on topic, Anandtech had a good article on the newest Light Peak developments. To my mind the most interesting one is that it looks like there won't be a native Light Peak protocol, but it will just be a transport for other protocols (USB, HDMI, SATA, etc.). The second part we sort of new already, but it raises a few questions. Specifically what would be required to hook up an existing device over. If it's more than a tiny dongle (which seems likely), it's not going to be very effective in the short term to hook up existing devices.

It makes it more likely we'll see things like Light Peak docking stations, where one cable runs from a laptop to a converter box hooked up to a bunch of peripherals. That certainly has its advantages, but most of the gain is simply convenience. It also means that rather than replacing all the ports on a laptop, it's going to be in addition to them, if you want to use existing devices on the go - at least until (if?) we get devices with native Light Peak connectors.

It certainly opens up a lot of possibilities, and it's clear why Apple is interested. With a Light Peak connector, you could replace the USB and DisplayPort connectors on a MacBook Air, giving you display and much better I/O options while reducing the connector count. An Apple display could have a Light Peak and Magsafe connector only, but offer connectivity for the display, iSight, and as many USB, FW or eSATA devices as they offered ports for on the back (or even a second daisy chained display).

One drawback is that it could make connectivity a problem when you don't have a hub available (i.e. most mobile situations). Laptops are going to need standard I/O ports in addition to Light Peak to be useful, since I don't anticipate cheap dongle adapters to go from say LPK->USB, nor do I think we'll get a ton of native Light Peak devices overnight (particularly not cheaply). If you don't eliminate some/all of the ports, what's the point?

The other problem I see is that if there's no native protocol, you become dependant on the protocols it's carrying. I.e. there could be a nice shiny new USB4 Light Peak device that comes out, but your Light Peak compatible laptop can't make use of it because it wasn't made with a USB4 controller. Perhaps there's a solution to this (or in fact there is a native protocol) that hasn't been detailed yet, but from the sound of the Anandtech article, it seems like it could be an issue.

All in all, it opens up a lot of interesting possibilities, particularly when it comes to eliminating the I/O limitations of a lot of Macs. However there are a lot of implementation details that could make it a hit or miss.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did not say the OP should not have started this thread. I simply posted links where this topic is being discussed, in case they hadn't seen those threads. The threads are current enough to add new posts, if someone chooses, but I did not suggest that this discussion should have been posted in one of those threads.
    From the Forum FAQ:
    From the Forum Rules:
    I find it funny that most threads that I post links in are repeats of existing threads, where the very same questions and answers have been discussed.

From the Forum Rules:

14. ljx718 macrumors 6502

pretty exciting. if it means extremely faster transfers then im all for it

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Ugh please. All this means is more adapters. Let me know when there's an abundance of cheap lightpeak monitors, keyboards, mice, hard drives, flash drives, sound cards, network connected cables, etc...