Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollo7011

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
I see, however the wikipedia article mentions that there was a fully functional lightpeak working computer on display. And it says we can start seeing it built into computers as early as 2010, yes i know that could mean at the beginning or end. But maybe they will put the hardware in the computer, and then update in late 2010 so it will be usable?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
And I don't see Apple jumping on Light Peak before there are even (a lot of) peripherals available that use this connection. All a bit too soon.

Apollo7011

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
Just because there is a lack of Lightpeak peripherals at the moment, doesn't mean they can't start implementing the hardware into the computers. And then start releasing the peripherals that will be able to communicate with the computer. That would also be an easier way of implementing the idea of a mainstream connection. First you have the connection on the computer, then they can start making the peripherals for Lightpeak imo.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I see, however the wikipedia article mentions that there was a fully functional lightpeak working computer on display. And it says we can start seeing it built into computers as early as 2010, yes i know that could mean at the beginning or end. But maybe they will put the hardware in the computer, and then update in late 2010 so it will be usable?

I doubt it's software that's not ready. The prototype was in a Mac Pro, so it probably isn't small enough to fit in a MBP yet. LP components may require new manufacturing processes to fit in small packages, for example, producing an IC that also emits light would allow LP on a single chip, but it might require new manufacturing equipment. Also, since LP isn't an industry standard, it's possible that Intel doesn't have the design finalized yet, and isn't going to start producing hardware until they are happy with it. Once Intel has hardware ready for mass production, they have to give it to Apple, and Apple has to put it in their next MBPs, which typically takes a few months.

I don't know all the details about LP, but if it is radically different from anything out there now, that might be part of the delay. If, for example, fiber optics have to be run inside the computer case that adds an extra element of complexity for the computer manufacturer. If it just works like SPDIF, though, it should be easy to add to any computer since the port just has an emitter, and the signal travels electrically across the motherboard. The reason I suspect LP might be different than SPDIF is that the prototype did have fiber running inside it.

Last I heard, LP is expected at the end of 2010. It Apple adds it to the next next MBP refresh, it will probably take off quickly and it won't be long before enough peripherals are available to make it useful.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Just because there is a lack of Lightpeak peripherals at the moment, doesn't mean they can't start implementing the hardware into the computers. And then start releasing the peripherals that will be able to communicate with the computer. That would also be an easier way of implementing the idea of a mainstream connection. First you have the connection on the computer, then they can start making the peripherals for Lightpeak imo.

Yes, they could, but they won't. Light Peak will come, regardless of what Apple puts in their products at this point in time. Apple doesn't want the latest and greatest tech in their products if that means compromising on usability. They'll count on the PC industry with relatively highly customizable products to jumpstart the Light Peak market and just wait it out for now.

The thing is that Apple isn't planning on telling all their customers that they have new ports on their new Apple product, but they can't use it yet because there's nothing to use it with. And on top of that, they need to buy a USB hub for all the USB peripherals that they do have, because they sacrificed some much needed USB ports (assuming they definitely won't remove the FW port just yet).

That's 1) a guaranteed bad consumer experience, and it's still too early for Apple to have a wide variety of products to sell themselves along with this new technology, i.e. 2) no extra income on peripherals. They didn't care about changing the Mini DisplayPort because they also sell the products that go with it. But we're not at that stage yet with LP. All in all it's still too early and simply bad business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.