Light Photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JackT06, Oct 10, 2010.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

As you may have seen on my previous post, i am only a student. So sorry, if i dont understand what you say straight away:)

Im currently doing my Art GCSE, and for one of my Portfolios, i have decided to do a photo book on "Light".

I was hoping that somepeople on here might be able to share some of there pictures to do with ligh (Low Light, Light Painting or w.e). If you could briefly explain what it is in the picture too, that would be brilliant.

I am also after some tips on how to take some good light photos and some ideas. I will share my results as i go on:)

P.S
    I will not use your work to pass off as my own, if you are worried about me doing that then please watermark your work.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

'Photography' means 'painting with light', so 'light', as a subject, is as broad as the medium of photography itself. For inspiration you have the big wide world, your local libraries, photographers in your area, the world wide web and - best of all - your own curiosity and imagination. If you want to see what light can do, check out the pic of Stonehenge in the Pic of the Day thread. With 'light' being such a broad subject, you may want to narrow it down a bit, using a process that we used to know as 'thinking'.

You want "some ideas"... You're a student, this is your job. Right, I'm off to 'paint with light'...

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

agreed with doylem. "light" is a bit broad unless you have a specific subject matter in mind. For example, and please forgive me for showing my own photos, painting with light can be done at night. as shown below. Or, as Doylem mentioned so kindly, the Stonhenge shot. You need to define if you want to create the light source or use a lightsource like sunlight or moonlight etc. Personally I am not very good at daylight shooting IMHO, so I either create the light through flash or paint with light at night. With sunlight you are pretty dependent on luck if you want to create golden light shots etc.

But narrow it down, you will do yourself a favor once you start looking for inspiration.. Light is all around, you just need to capture it.

On the other hand you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt or two. I am just an amateur and nowhere near the levels of some of the people on this forum.
    just my 2 cents.

Attached Files:

4. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

thanks for the replies :)

I have attached pictures which i have taken recently to do with light.

flosseR i love your picture in the cabin (type thing), im not sure why i think it may just be the color of the picture:)

Attached Files: