Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arjun90

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
New York

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thank you all. :) I noticed when I access the Camera app, I can still hear the rattle if I lightly shake the phone. What does it mean when others are saying the rattle does not occur when the camera is on? Is it that the rattle sound is not suppose to be audible when a recording or "while" pictures are being taken?
We're saying it's normal and within spec has has been since 2010 or so. I wouldn't worry about it.

arjun90

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
New York
Thanks, an Apple technician from the Genius Bar was encouraging me to make an appointment at the Apple Store to get it checked. Apparently, Apple Engineers are never on standby on the phone.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Get it checked at store. Can't hurt.

But I am amazed, after ten iPhones, I never once thought to shake it when I got it. Who knew, I might have had a defective one, used it for years not knowing. Just one more thing to add to my list for the iPhone 7, trial by fire on first day!

arjun90

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
New York
All of my Samsung devices made this light rattle when shaken. It was more or less along the same lines as the consistency of the rattle in the 6s. In the 6s Plus, you really need to shake it more vigorously to reproduce the same effect. As someone else here mentioned, the lens in both models do contain moving parts pertaining to the Auto-focus mechanism. Its less noticeable in the 6s Plus because of the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) Feature. Perhaps, Apple should have disclosed a disclaimer on this.

On another note, my 6s contains the Samsung variant of the A9 Chip (14 nanometer). I know this is off-topic, but to me, a smaller SoC is suppose to be better than anything larger. Oddly, enough, a lot of sharp criticism at the Samsung chip. I'd have to agree, there is a variation in battery life and heat in the Samsung-manufactured A9 chips compared to TSMC.

Get it checked at store. Can't hurt.

But I am amazed, after ten iPhones, I never once thought to shake it when I got it. Who knew, I might have had a defective one, used it for years not knowing. Just one more thing to add to my list for the iPhone 7, trial by fire on first day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.