Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colourfulclock

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I just bought a new 32GB 3rd generation ipod touch today, I'm using it and its awesome!:)

I have however noticed, that when i tilt the touch on the side a little i can see a strip of light between the silver bezel and the black screen, it looks like the backlight is shining through. It also looks like the metal bezel on that side is further out than the one on the other side (the other side is fine).

If i have to get this replaced I am incredibly pissed at Apple. A touch released 3 days ago and it has a manufacturing defect. Grrrr. I bought a 3 year extended warranty too, its looking like it might come in useful.

Will Apple replace my touch for free?
Should i take it to the store i bought it from or contact Apple?
How long will it take?! I bought it today and i want to use it, not wait for it to be repaired!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Apple would replace it, BUT you probably need to go to the store you bought it at so they can log the serial number change for your extended service plan. Or at leas call and ask them about that- and don't trust the floor person, get someone in customer service that deals with returns to help you.

What store has the new ones already?

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
I have that same thing on my iPhone3G, there is a small gap between the silver bezel and the black screen all along the left side where the volume buttons are.
I never bothered to bring it back to Apple and have lived with it just fine for over a year now.. also, even though it resides in my pockets most of the time with no case, no dust has gotten under the screen despite the gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.