Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Preference

• Dark mode

• Light mode

• Auto

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I would probably set it to "Auto", but I don't live in a cave without light, so I don't really see the point of dark mode. ?‍♂️

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I have mine set to Auto, but for polling purposes that seems like fence sitting, so I voted for light mode.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Dark… unless you want to destroy your eyes.

Everything is dark nowadays, except for media.

Reactions: saxon48

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
Both. Sometimes dark is too dark. I don't find the light as too light.

It's really what I feel like looking at rather than one being unuseable. Some apps look better I must admit, but I tend to flip between the two in iTunes.

Reactions: Mr.Blacky

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Like I've mentioned in another thread - dark menubar and dock, apps - light. Voted for light, as technically I have most things in that mode.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Can you do that ?

iL6l7qC.png

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I voted auto as that is what I use, but I really have different mentalities based and device:
  • Mac: My iMac stays stationary and I actually prefer dark mode after the Big Sur update. I don't leave this on dark mode all the time, however, because so many websites default to light backgrounds and I find that jarring. If the web was more compliant, the Mac would be dark mode 100%.
  • iPhone: Because I take my iPhone out into the world, I find light mode easier to see and use in bright environments, because of this, I'd rather this device more or less follow the sun, which usually reflects the brightness I'm around during the day (even inside with window blinds open).
  • iPad: If iOS used the Mac's "dark grey" dark them, I'd run it in dark mode 100% of the time. Since iOS uses true black, which doesn't look great on an LED display in my opinion, I run in auto so that I only get dark mode at night so I'm not jarred by a bright display.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Ryo@ryomac

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
Japan
My Mac uses it in Dark mode at macOS 11 Big Sur .

However, since the Menu Bar depends on the wallpaper data, it may not be in Dark mode.

Therefore, for the purpose of improving the visibility of the Menu Bar, wallpaper data with reduced brightness in the Menu Bar area is used.

Attachments

• 20201227-1.jpg
    20201227-1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 104
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.