Light weight download manager app?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dacoolest, May 9, 2012.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

Hi, Could you please recommend a good download manager application that is light weight (has minimal involvements with the operating system) ?

I'm looking for something similar to IDM for Windows. It should take a download link I'm throwing at it, and start downloading with segmented download. Thats all I need. Right click menus, safari integrations and things like that are not not necessary.

Any suggestions?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

There's Speed Download, which at minimum can do what you want. It has bells and whistles you can ignore.

Or any one of innumerable FTP clients, like CyberDuck, Forklift, Fetch, etc.

3. silverhand31 macrumors member

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I use JDownloader to download youtube music videos (you can select all available file formats and resolutions). Downloaded MP4 files are useful for iDevices like the iPod touch.

For other download tasks, i use Firefox + the DownThemAll add-on. Btw, i can also recommend the NoScript + Adblock Plus add-ons (configuration needed).

Note that many CDN-based download servers (such as download servers behind adobe.com), provide faster downloads, if you open only one connection to the download server.