All iPads Lightening Cables?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nanogirl21, Nov 7, 2013.

1. nanogirl21, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I have an iPhone 5S and soon will get getting an iPad Mini (first iPad). I know those both of these deceives come with lightning cables, but I will need additional (car, additional home, work). I would like to get a longer one (2 or 3m). I know Apple sells a 2m lightning to USB cable but it is extremely expensive ($29.00). Are the cheaper 3rd party cords (belkin/china-based brands) any different than the Apple ones? Is the charging speeding the same or should I be worried that my battery may fry? Also, are the iPhone and iPad chargers interchangeable? I'm just having a serious hard time spending $90 on chargers.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The word Lightning has no 'e'.

'expansible' is not the word you're looking for.

Belkin, Griffin, Amazon Basics, Monoprice which are MFi Certified, Made for iPhone/iPad are perfectly good. They won't fry your battery. Sometimes the plastic overmold is larger and won't fit with certain cases.

The iPhone and iPad chargers are interchangeable. However; the smaller iPhone charger will charge an iPad very slowly.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't think a cable is needed for "lightening".... :eek:

Lightening: "a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis." (link)

MANY discussions about Lightning cables and stuff in the Accessories sub-forum, you might look there too.

Short answers: 3rd party MFI certified cables should be fine. Monoprice.com sells solid cables for a decent price. Cables are interchangeable between ipad and iphone. Chargers are different, but only in charging speed. An ipad on an ipad charger will charge faster than on an iphone charger. You won't fry the batteries since charging is controlled within the phone or ipad. Unless perhaps you get a bad cheap third party charger. Stick with decent stuff and don't try to save $5 charging a $500 device.

4. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Well excuse me for common typos.

*Lightning
    *Expensive

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

6. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Thanks for the information. I will check out that link. Do you know if there is any type of warrenty/replacement for official Apple cables that stop working?

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Any of the Apple licensed 3rd party "Made for iPad" cables are fine. I wouldn't chance the non licensed ones though. We'd seen occassional reports where poorly made ones have been less than 100% compatible. Even if the odds are 1,000:1 I wouldn't want to be #1,000 just to save $20. PITA.

As for chargers, it's perfectly fine (even suggested by Apple) to charge your iPhone w/ an iPad charger. You'll fill up much, much faster than w/ the iPhone charger. I don't even take my iPhone charger out of the box anymore.

But don't charge an iPad w/ and iPhone charger as it will take forever and a day. Under no circumstances use non-licensed 3rd party charger. Those have a much greater chance of screwing up your device.

----------

Yes. One year standard. Three year if on Apple Care. Just take the cable to the store and they will swap it out. Or if you don't have a store near you call up Apple and they will send you a new one. Personally, never had an iDevice cable or charger stop working, but I have had many Macbook Pro power cables that disintegrated. Very easy replacement under warranty.

8. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Thanks! I am very hard on cords and it sounds like having the security of a replacement cable for 3 years is worth the extra few bucks. I do/will have Apple Care+. So that is just can additiaonl $5/year (if the Amazon cord is $15.00).

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've ought a whole bunch of these, and they work great. The only complaint some have is that the molded plastic at each end is a bit chunky, and can cause problems for people with otterbox-type cases. Other than that, they are every bit as good (IMO) as the genuine Apple cables.

10. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Fine if you like hauling your one cable around with you.

Many of us prefer to have additional cables for convenience. ~$11-12 for 3ft or 6ft cables from Monoprice are well worth it.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020