Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Ihope Apple don't remove the light lightening port to charge the iPhone on future iPhones because I've just found a good reason for them not to. Last night my iPhone was in need of charging when I got in and because I don't have a landline , I thought I'll charge it and then make an important call I needed to make before 5pm. Well I got in and put my iPhone one the charging stand and it didn't charge. The reason for this was Ihad lost connection because my provider was working on it . So I had to use the lightening port to charge it while I had no connection. I'm fortunate because I have a 6s I can revert to if my 8 plus was incapable of this but , it is one reason why I think Apple should thinK? Especially if someone is in my position with only one mobile or as I am a wheelchair user and needed it urgently.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ihope Apple don't remove the light lightening port to charge the iPhone on future iPhones.

The lighting port is still very much relevant to the iPhone in many ways, and there was one ‘bogus’ rumor indicating Apple considered removing the lightning port with the release of the iPhone X. Altogether, I think the lightning port will be here for quite some time, as we’re not to that point where technology is ready yet for it to be completely deleted.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Ihope Apple don't remove the light lightening port to charge the iPhone on future iPhones because I've just found a good reason for them not to. Last night my iPhone was in need of charging when I got in and because I don't have a landline , I thought I'll charge it and then make an important call I needed to make before 5pm. Well I got in and put my iPhone one the charging stand and it didn't charge. The reason for this was Ihad lost connection because my provider was working on it . So I had to use the lightening port to charge it while I had no connection. I'm fortunate because I have a 6s I can revert to if my 8 plus was incapable of this but , it is one reason why I think Apple should thinK? Especially if someone is in my position with only one mobile or as I am a wheelchair user and needed it urgently.
It wouldn’t charge because you had lost mobile phone signal connection?

Have I read this wrong? I never read anywhere about needing a phone signal just to get wireless charging to work! Surely that’s wrong!

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Yes I know there was a rumour that the X might not have one thats why I'm hoping the new one is with one. Because as you say about technology. I think any make of phone if they go down that road will eventually find problems.
[doublepost=1532077425][/doublepost]No. I said I lost connection , I'm sorry if I confused you I meant internet connection

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
Wtf? Wireless charging doesn't work when you don't have network service. Dam guess I can't charge my iPhone in airplane mode anymore.

Reactions: eyoungren

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
No. I said I lost connection , I'm sorry if I confused you I meant internet connection
Are you sure wireless charging needs WiFi/3G/4G/LTE or any other signal to work?

Maybe the charging plate wasn’t plugged in properly?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Are you sure wireless charging needs WiFi/3G/4G/LTE or any other signal to work?

Maybe the charging plate wasn’t plugged in properly?
No you do not need wireless connection to charge. Just a coincidence.
How would you charge a completely dead phone, aka no wireless connectivity?

The lightning port is useful for diagnostics, not sure what we would do if the port was removed. LFE bluetooth diagnostics?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Still a little confused by what the OP has described.

I think he means that he tried charging his iPhone using the wireless charger, but they lost power. So he was able to charge using a lightning cable and an external battery.

Is this what the OP means? If so, is there a reason that a wireless charger can't be powered by an external battery?

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011

I think he means that he tried charging his iPhone using the wireless charger, but they lost power. So he was able to charge using a lightning cable and an external battery.

Is this what the OP means? If so, is there a reason that a wireless charger can't be powered by an external battery?
I suppose that makes sense lol

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009

Yes, a wireless charger could be powered by an external battery, but the wireless charging is much less efficient, and with a loss of power, efficiently using what charge you have stored in the battery becomes even more important.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I doubt apple or any other cell phone maker would get rid of the charger port. Atleast til they come out with actual wireless charging. Something that can charge 15-20 or more feet from the phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I doubt apple or any other cell phone maker would get rid of the charger port. Atleast til they come out with actual wireless charging. Something that can charge 15-20 or more feet from the phone.

There is _no_ reason for Apple to delete the lighting port right now. It’s a huge monopoly and if you look of the importance of how it ties the consumer to the ecosystem with the iPad, iPhone, iPod, the AirPods, even the accessory market is massive revenue for Apple with the lightning port. Not to mention, it’s still serves as a back up hardware method for iTunes restoring. Eventually one day I think ports will be obsolete on a smart phone, but not anytime soon Until battery technology and alternative methods are primary.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
They wouldn’t remove the lightning port without replacing it with another port. I believe they were considering USB-C. I wouldn’t mind that at all in their future phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.