Lightening will kill resale value

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMule, Oct 23, 2012.

1. iMule macrumors 6502

Apple should have introduced the iPad 3 with Lightening. Who wants to retract and buy an iPad with a 30 pin connector? Technically, all new accessories shouldn't support it in the future. I'm a little ticked at the way Apple is incrementing features. I'm not going to buy a new iPad. I'm happy with the one I've got. Don't blast me.

Another thing: with the new connector, I thought it allowed for more internals due to its smaller footprint. You know the iPad 5 is coming soon. I think to slap lightening on a device with the same dimensions is utter *********. I can't wait for a tear down to see justification.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Unless the new style connector has an accessory that is not currently available, I do not see it as a big deal. Every accessory out is for the current connector and with the number of iPad/iPods out there, ie BILLIONS and BILLIONS I do not see support for that market going anywhere anytime soon.

Thus I do not see it being a resale killer in the near term at all. What Apple did do was KILL I mean CRUSH the resale market for the iPad 3. Just destroyed it with the quick release of the iPad 4 IMHO.

3. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

i agree with your lightening points. exact reasons stopping me from switching my ipad 3 for the newer model, because whats the point? come spring ish they're just going to release another ipad with the same #*&$

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

I just bought my wife an iPad 3 for her birthday in July and upgrade from her iPad 1; at first I was pissed they released the 4 so soon, but then thought, BFD; all she uses it for is internet, email, video streaming and looking at pictures. For that; her iPad 3 works just as well as the 4 would.

Sometimes people need to seperate real world use from new spec sheets; its hard to do...

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

for everyone that's pissed, please sell it for 80%-90% used on eBay* and buy the newer one.

you lose a hell of a lot more when you drive a brand new car off the lot

*and remember to buy insurance and signature confirmation to avoid getting scammed

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yeah but cars last a lot longer and the mindset is different. I am betting with the refurb market at Apple and the iPad 2 still in the wild the resale value of the 3 is lower than 90% retail. Keep in mind that is base retail, before taxes/vat.

IDK, no big deal for me, I am not pissed, we will keep our iPad 3 and iPad 1 which the kids use without complaint until they die and then upgrade.

7. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Wow, you look angry... Relax dude, you're iPad is still new... I mean... well... old now, but still good... but with last generation A5 chip... I mean, yes, the new iPad is awesome and 2X faster and all.

These angry guys are funny.

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

true

just a loose analogy

i'm still rocking the a1181 white macbook and i used the 12" powerbook until it completely died

9. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Lightning/lightening

Does no one know the difference between these two words?

"The sun came out, it's lightening up outside."

"I was struck by lightning."

The worst thing about the new lightning connector is that I have to keep cringing every time I read threads about it.

10. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

There's nothing better about it. Nothing will be noticeable. It's what the iPad 3 should have been. Either they didn't have their **** together and rushed the iPad 3 or they made a conscious decision to lowball us.

The form factor didn't change at the expense of a new connector with a smaller footprint. It's a dead giveaway that an iPad 5 is coming.

Looking back though — Siri (is it officially out of beta? Lol), a processor bump, and a higher MP camera weren't justifiable, but I upgraded from the 4 to get the 4S. One lesson I have learned is to be content with what you have and what you spend your money on. I'm about to dive on my bed and play with my iPad before going to the gym. I could care less. It's not Apple-like to re-gen a device with features that were intentionally left out.