Lighter (not smaller) please!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulesK, Aug 15, 2012.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

Despite owning mac computers and an iPhone for years, I resisted an iPad until very recently. Although I really enjoy it (Verizon LTE model), it would be far more usable to me if it were a lot lighter. I love the design and build quality of Apple products, but this is one case where I'd be willing to sacrifice materials, robustness and battery life for weight - smaller battery (5 hours is plenty for my day), plastic screen (use a screen protector), plastic case (use a shell), etc. I originally thought it would be too big, but after using it, I can hardly imagine a smaller screen (I have my iPhone when I really want portability), but really would want it lighter.

Probably will just have to wait until Apple figures out ways to lighten up the iPad generally, but if a third-party offered to reshell/lighten your iPad, I'd probably bite...

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How exactly do you think they could make it lighter? I don't think they could use another material on the internals and still be within the same price. What do you think makes it heavy?